Why does embed make my page refresh/load twice?

Chris Tomlinson

Hi all, I hope someone is able to help me out with a small problem with this
page:
http://www.superhighstreet.com/George-Street-Richmond/index.shtml

I have a small iframe (mid-right) with an embedded audio player.

<embed src="slideshow/streetsound.mp3"
width="75" height="25"
autostart="true"
loop="true">

Nothing fancy, however with that in there, the page seems to load twice in
IE. It fetches the SSI header, then clears it, then loads the rest of the
page 'behind the scenes', then finally displays it.

If I remove the embed, it loads the page bit by bit and you can start
reading before the rest of the page is done, which is what is desired for
obvious reasons.

Any idea why embed causes this? Works fine in FF etc.

Ed Mullen

Chris said:
Hi all, I hope someone is able to help me out with a small problem with this
page:
http://www.superhighstreet.com/George-Street-Richmond/index.shtml

I have a small iframe (mid-right) with an embedded audio player.

<embed src="slideshow/streetsound.mp3"
width="75" height="25"
autostart="true"
loop="true">

Nothing fancy, however with that in there, the page seems to load twice in
IE. It fetches the SSI header, then clears it, then loads the rest of the
page 'behind the scenes', then finally displays it.

If I remove the embed, it loads the page bit by bit and you can start
reading before the rest of the page is done, which is what is desired for
obvious reasons.

Any idea why embed causes this? Works fine in FF etc.

Don't know "why" but it does that here. Also, the "loop" parameter here
does not work on Mozilla-based browsers (SeaMonkey and Firefox). the
..mp3 file plays once and stops. Not sure why.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net