Why does fileupload open a new window?

Eric

I've got an app that opens a modal window and allows the user access
to an INPUT TYPE=FILE. The user chooses the file to submit and hits
the submit button.

Everything works fine, the file is uploaded successfully but when
doing this from a modal window, the submit causes a new window to
appear. I'm pretty sure that it is doing this so IE can get a "real"
window up to upload the file.

The new window is not a response from the server. I know this because
the URL is the upload CGI when it opens. Also... I tried submitting a
file from a "normal" window and no new window appears.

I really want a modal window here for the users.... any way to stop it
from opening a new window?

Jim Ley

Everything works fine, the file is uploaded successfully but when
doing this from a modal window, the submit causes a new window to
appear. I'm pretty sure that it is doing this so IE can get a "real"
window up to upload the file.

No, not at all, the reason is that showModalDialog gives you a dialog,
not something that can load new pages.

An IFRAME would be the solution.

Jim.

tudor

Eric said:
I've got an app that opens a modal window and allows the user access
to an INPUT TYPE=FILE. The user chooses the file to submit and hits
the submit button.

Everything works fine, the file is uploaded successfully but when
doing this from a modal window, the submit causes a new window to
appear. I'm pretty sure that it is doing this so IE can get a "real"
window up to upload the file.

The new window is not a response from the server. I know this because
the URL is the upload CGI when it opens. Also... I tried submitting a
file from a "normal" window and no new window appears.

I really want a modal window here for the users.... any way to stop it
from opening a new window?

I'm aso looking for an upload applet, I found a coupple but none works.
Where did you get yours??

Thanx!