Why does JavaFX video crash the JVM?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Qu0ll, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. Qu0ll

    Qu0ll Guest

    I posted a similar message in the JavaFX forums but I received no replies.

    The problem is that whenever I try to run a JavaFX application on the
    desktop or applet in the browser that renders video on my Vista machine, the
    JVM crashes with the uninformative stock Vista message "The Java Runtime
    Binary has stopped working". All non-video JavaFX applications and applets
    work fine.

    I have tried the following:

    * Reinstalling JavaFX SDK
    * Reinstalling Java
    * Versions 6u10, 6u11, 6u12 and 6u14 EA of Java
    * Upgrading the nVidia graphics driver

    but the problem persists.

    It seems obvious that it's not related to my local JavaFX environment
    because I don't believe it would be utilised when running an applet over the
    internet so it must be either the JRE, the graphics driver or the OS.
    However, as I said, I have tried different versions of all of those except
    the OS.

    Any ideas on what might be causing this? Is there any way to get more
    information about the JVM crash?

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Feb 18, 2009

  2. Qu0ll

    blue indigo Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:05:41 +1100, Qu0ll wrote:

    > I posted a similar message in the JavaFX forums but I received no replies.
    >
    > The problem is that whenever I try to run a JavaFX application on the
    > desktop or applet in the browser that renders video on my Vista machine, the
    > JVM crashes with the uninformative stock Vista message "The Java Runtime
    > Binary has stopped working". All non-video JavaFX applications and applets
    > work fine.

    It's possible this is a feature, not a bug --- at least, as viewed by the
    MPAA. Vista contains a bunch of DRM and "secure media path" nonsense,
    designed to make it difficult to play video on it that doesn't have the
    MPAA Seal of Approval. To fight piracy, of course. That it impairs
    playback of perfectly legitimate non-pirated amateur-made video if it's of
    high enough resolution and quality is, I am sure, just a happy side effect
    for the MPAA, which would rather there not be any real competition from
    non-MPAA-member-made movies in the top tiers of the market.

    Does your JavaFX video stuff work fine on Windows XP machines, and
    non-Windows machines, and only crash on Vista?

    It could also be a garden-variety video driver, OS, antivirus, or JVM bug.
    You didn't say exactly what nVidia hardware, or whether the system is
    32-bit or 64.

    Does Vista's crash dialog not provide a way to get at the stack dump and
    other data? I seem to recall XP's having had a "more details" or similar
    button, though I can't be sure, since I ditched it for Fedora Core ages
    ago and my memory is more than a little fuzzy on these things. (I know as
    much as I do about Vista from hearing all the horror stories, some from
    close friends that drank the Kool-Aid, and many more from the blogs I
    track to keep abreast of what's happening in computerland.)

    A stack dump would be useful in narrowing things down. For example, if it
    pointed into nv4disp.dll or similar, it would indicate a video driver
    issue.

    --
    blue indigo
    UA Telecom since 1987

    blue indigo, Feb 18, 2009

  3. Qu0ll

    Qu0ll Guest

    "Sabine Dinis Blochberger" <> wrote in message
    > Qu0ll wrote:
    >
    >> I posted a similar message in the JavaFX forums but I received no
    >> replies.
    >>
    >> The problem is that whenever I try to run a JavaFX application on the
    >> desktop or applet in the browser that renders video on my Vista machine,
    >> the
    >> JVM crashes with the uninformative stock Vista message "The Java Runtime
    >> Binary has stopped working". All non-video JavaFX applications and
    >> applets
    >> work fine.
    >>

    > Could be access rights.
    >
    >> I have tried the following:
    >>
    >> * Reinstalling JavaFX SDK
    >> * Reinstalling Java
    >> * Versions 6u10, 6u11, 6u12 and 6u14 EA of Java
    >> * Upgrading the nVidia graphics driver
    >>
    >> but the problem persists.
    >>
    >> It seems obvious that it's not related to my local JavaFX environment
    >> because I don't believe it would be utilised when running an applet over
    >> the
    >> internet so it must be either the JRE, the graphics driver or the OS.
    >> However, as I said, I have tried different versions of all of those
    >> except
    >> the OS.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what might be causing this? Is there any way to get more
    >> information about the JVM crash?
    >>

    > Activate the java console in the Java control panel is one way to get
    > the stack trace, the other is to run the application in your IDE, if
    > it's your own.

    There is no stack trace - it's not a Java or JavaFX exception. The Java
    process just dies, collapses, falls over. I have tried running things in
    NetBeans and Eclipse and I have the Java Console open for applets. There is
    no stack trace.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Feb 18, 2009
  4. Qu0ll

    Qu0ll Guest

    "blue indigo" <>
    wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:05:41 +1100, Qu0ll wrote:
    >
    >> I posted a similar message in the JavaFX forums but I received no
    >> replies.
    >>
    >> The problem is that whenever I try to run a JavaFX application on the
    >> desktop or applet in the browser that renders video on my Vista machine,
    >> the
    >> JVM crashes with the uninformative stock Vista message "The Java Runtime
    >> Binary has stopped working". All non-video JavaFX applications and
    >> applets
    >> work fine.

    > It's possible this is a feature, not a bug --- at least, as viewed by the
    > MPAA. Vista contains a bunch of DRM and "secure media path" nonsense,
    > designed to make it difficult to play video on it that doesn't have the
    > MPAA Seal of Approval. To fight piracy, of course. That it impairs
    > playback of perfectly legitimate non-pirated amateur-made video if it's of
    > high enough resolution and quality is, I am sure, just a happy side effect
    > for the MPAA, which would rather there not be any real competition from
    > non-MPAA-member-made movies in the top tiers of the market.
    >
    > Does your JavaFX video stuff work fine on Windows XP machines, and
    > non-Windows machines, and only crash on Vista?

    Yes, in fact it *used* to work on Vista (I realise I should have mentioned
    that). I have no idea what has changed. And it happens when I run the "Big
    Buck Bunny" demo on JavaFX.com which shouldn't have any DRM issues.

    > It could also be a garden-variety video driver, OS, antivirus, or JVM bug.
    > You didn't say exactly what nVidia hardware, or whether the system is
    > 32-bit or 64.

    Good point. It's a Dell Precision M6300 laptop with an nVidia FX-1600M
    graphics card running 32-bit Vista Ultimate.

    > Does Vista's crash dialog not provide a way to get at the stack dump and
    > other data? I seem to recall XP's having had a "more details" or similar
    > button, though I can't be sure, since I ditched it for Fedora Core ages
    > ago and my memory is more than a little fuzzy on these things. (I know as
    > much as I do about Vista from hearing all the horror stories, some from
    > close friends that drank the Kool-Aid, and many more from the blogs I
    > track to keep abreast of what's happening in computerland.)

    No, there is no such button. As I said, the error message is totally
    uninformative.

    > A stack dump would be useful in narrowing things down. For example, if it
    > pointed into nv4disp.dll or similar, it would indicate a video driver
    > issue.

    I agree but I don't know how to get a stack dump.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Feb 18, 2009
  5. Qu0ll

    Wojtek Guest

    Qu0ll wrote :
    >> Does your JavaFX video stuff work fine on Windows XP machines, and
    >> non-Windows machines, and only crash on Vista?

    > Yes, in fact it *used* to work on Vista (I realise I should have mentioned
    > that). I have no idea what has changed. And it happens when I run the "Big
    > Buck Bunny" demo on JavaFX.com which shouldn't have any DRM issues.

    Auto Update installed something? Maybe a signature file?

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Feb 18, 2009