    Event ID: 1084
    Date: 10/05/2005
    Time: 17:32:20
    User: N/A
    Computer: (my server)
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
    ..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
    directory allow access to the configured account.

    and

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 10/05/2005
    Time: 17:32:20
    User: N/A
    Computer: (my server)
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
    supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid.

    I didn't update my asp.net web applications on this date, so something else
    has caused the problem.

    I did a search for processModel in the config file, and found a
    machine.config file in my .net folder:

    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\machine.config

    The processModel username and password in this file are set to:

    userName="machine"
    password="AutoGenerate"

    The full entry is:

    <processModel
    enable="true"
    timeout="Infinite"
    idleTimeout="Infinite"
    shutdownTimeout="0:00:05"
    requestLimit="Infinite"
    requestQueueLimit="5000"
    restartQueueLimit="10"
    memoryLimit="60"
    webGarden="false"
    cpuMask="0xffffffff"
    userName="machine"
    password="AutoGenerate"
    logLevel="Errors"
    clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
    comAuthenticationLevel="Connect"
    comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
    responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00"
    maxWorkerThreads="20"
    maxIoThreads="20"
    />

    I think these are all just default settings.

    I did a google search to see if I could find an answer and found this:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/jambrose/archive/2004/09/01/224226.aspx

    In which he author says the cause of the problem is the server installing
    ..net 1.1 SP1. The solution to this problem is:

    Well, it turns out that the ASPNET account got locked out. I guess my
    domain policy here gets applied to local accounts. I unlocked it and reset
    IIS, and voila, we're back in business.

    The problem is, I don't understand what he means. How is the "machine"
    account locked out? How do you unlock it?

    My server is running windows 2000 (build 2195) service pack 4.

    How can I fix this problem?
    Robert Halford, May 13, 2005

  2. Robert Halford

    David Lloyd Guest

    I think the following KB articles would be a good reference.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323292
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315158

    --
    David Lloyd
    MCSD .NET

    This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

    "Robert Halford" <> wrote in message
    On 4th May at 7.45 in the evening my asp.net web sites stopped working on my
    development server.

    The page that appears says:

    Server Application Unavailable
    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.

    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

    The windows error log gives two entries in the application log:

    David Lloyd, May 13, 2005