    I could not believe that these expert programmers are coming up with
    stuff that does not exist and yet works.

    I mean like there is a tag in html for <font face ="">???

    richard, Nov 17, 2008

  2. richard wrote:

    > As an example, take a look at any google images results page. In
    > Firefox you can select an area, highlite it, then click "view
    > selection source".
    > You'll see in the line <font color="#008000">
    > I kid you not.

    Yeahhhh... you are kidding, aren't you, RtS?

    > I ran one page through the validator and it found a mere 320 errors. I
    > could not believe that these expert programmers are coming up with
    > stuff that does not exist and yet works.

    That google code hasn't been updated in a hundred years. So what? It
    still works. Your browser understands it.

    > I mean like there is a tag in html for <font face ="">???

    I answered this for you in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    In answer to the question in your subject line, it's because browsers
    can still read HTML 3.2 and are able to correct errors.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 17, 2008

  3. richard

    rf Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > As an example, take a look at any google images results page.
    > In Firefox you can select an area, highlite it, then click "view
    > selection source".
    > You'll see in the line <font color="#008000">
    > I kid you not.

    And what is wrong with that? Deprecated, sure, but perfectly valid with a
    traditional DTD.

    > I ran one page through the validator and it found a mere 320 errors.

    Not unusual.

    > I could not believe that these expert programmers are coming up with
    > stuff that does not exist and yet works.

    Happens all the time. Never heard of browser error correction? Most dimwit
    web drezigners rely on it.

    > I mean like there is a tag in html for <font face ="">???

    Yes actually there is. More correctly there is a font element and in its
    start tag one can include a face attribute along with its value.

    Sounds like you have never read the HTML specifications:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/graphics.html#edef-FONT in particular
    and
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ in general

    rf, Nov 17, 2008
  4. richard

    Bergamot Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> As an example, take a look at any google images results page.
    >> You'll see in the line <font color="#008000">
    >> I kid you not.

    > And what is wrong with that? Deprecated, sure, but perfectly valid with a
    > traditional DTD.

    Not that google cares whether it's valid code or not. In this particular case invalid code isn't likely to have any real effect on the user, so why bother changing?

    Besides, one of the benefits of being a big fish in a big pond is that you can get away with doing pretty much anything you want.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 17, 2008