Why does Tomcat need a network connection for localhost?

javaguy_in_wheaton

Or maybe I don't have it cooked right.

When developing on my laptop (Tomcat 5.5.4, Fedora Core 3) I don't
always have a network connection.

http://localhost:8080/servlets-examples/index.html -- always works,
whether connected to internet or not.
http://localhost:8080/MyFirst/index.html -- only works when I'm
connected to the internet.

My $CATALINA_HOST/conf/servlet.xml and web.xml are stock
(as-delivered). XML validation is turned *off* in there.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Jerome.

marcus

Wow -- did you really post local URL's in an attempt to get an answer?
On the one hand, I did not know tomcat was running on my system (without
the monitor), so that's cool.

There are issues with your use of words like "work" and "connected" and
"need". Obviously tomcat does not "need" a "connection" to "work",
because the first URL (reportedly) "works". So Y'all's barking up the
wrong skirt.

It is possible your "browser" is caching your "servlet" which you moved
or erased, and won't look for the cache'd version if you are offline. I
have not seen this specific behavior but it would not surprise me. Old
laptop? IE 5? Win 98? External USB modem? (Without the modem drivers
loaded, older versions of window's won't build a TCP/IP stack so some
browser features are disabled -- funky stuff like that)

Try including details like, hmm, OS, browser, and error message for more
helpful advise.

MaybelleMa