Why does Visual Studio always checkout files when looking Web User Control in design mode?

Eric Mamet

Everytime I try to look at a web user control in design mode, Visual
Studio prompts me for checking out the file from Visual Source Safe.

Apparently, it just shuffles around the first three lines of code in
the ascx file

Original is

<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="LogonMessageDisplay"
Src="../../Controls/LogonMessageDisplay.ascx" %>
<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="UserAdmin.ascx.vb"
Inherits="uk.gov.defra.Amls.Secure.UserAdmin"
TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="AMLS2" TagName="BannerMessageDisplay"
Src="/Controls/BannerMessageDisplay.ascx" %>

and is re-ordered as

<%@ Register TagPrefix="AMLS2" TagName="BannerMessageDisplay"
Src="/Controls/BannerMessageDisplay.ascx" %>
<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="UserAdmin.ascx.vb"
Inherits="uk.gov.defra.Amls.Secure.UserAdmin"
TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="LogonMessageDisplay"
Src="../../Controls/LogonMessageDisplay.ascx" %>

I have checked each line and they are identical, just re-ordered...

I am a .Net newbie joining an existing project and I thought my
environment had something wrong but other developers complain about
the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Eric mamet