Why doesn't "filterwarnings" suppress this message?

John Nagle

Feedparser isn't supported for Python 3.0, so in Python 2.6, many warning
messages appear. I'm trying, in Python 2.6, to suppress the warning message:

./feedparser\feedparser.py:69: DeprecationWarning:
the sgmllib module has been removed in Python 3.0
import sgmllib, re, sys, copy, urlparse, time, rfc822, types,
cgi, urllib, urllib2

with this warning filter:

warnings.filterwarnings(action='ignore',
category=DeprecationWarning, module='feedparser')

The filter suppresses other deprecation warnings associated with
the feedparser module, but not that one. How do I get rid of that
one?

And no,

warnings.filterwarnings(action='ignore',
category=DeprecationWarning, module='sgmllib')

doesn't do it.

John Nagle

Peter Otten

John said:
[...]

I can't confirm that:

$ cat nowarning.py
import sys
if "--off" in sys.argv:
import warnings
warnings.filterwarnings(action="ignore",
category=DeprecationWarning,
module="feedparser")
import feedparser
$ python nowarning.py
$ python -3 nowarning.py
/usr/lib/python2.6/site.py:1: DeprecationWarning: The 'new' module has been
removed in Python 3.0; use the 'types' module instead.
"""Append module search paths for third-party packages to sys.path.
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/feedparser.py:69: DeprecationWarning: the
sgmllib module has been removed in Python 3.0
import sgmllib, re, sys, copy, urlparse, time, rfc822, types, cgi, urllib,
urllib2
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/feedparser.py:69: DeprecationWarning: in 3.x,
rfc822 has been removed in favor of the email package
import sgmllib, re, sys, copy, urlparse, time, rfc822, types, cgi, urllib,
urllib2
$ python -3 nowarning.py --off
/usr/lib/python2.6/site.py:1: DeprecationWarning: The 'new' module has been
removed in Python 3.0; use the 'types' module instead.
"""Append module search paths for third-party packages to sys.path.
$ python -V
Python 2.6.4

Peter

John Nagle

It turned out to be a loading order issue. That message is generated
at import time, and "filterwarnings" hadn't been called yet.

John Nagle