    What are the best ways to make VS produce more browser compatible html?

    --
    John Dalberg
    John Dalberg, Dec 1, 2004

  2. John Dalberg

    John M Deal Guest

    Which validator are you having a problem viewing the error message for?
    I ask because I just tried adding a required field validator to a page
    that had only a text box and a submit button on it and it showed up in
    the IE source code in a span element whose id is the name of the
    validator and an attribute called errormessage contains the error
    message I set. Let us know the specific validator that you are having
    an issue with and we can try out some possibilities from there.

    Have A Better One!

    John M Deal, MCP
    Necessity Software

    John M Deal, Dec 1, 2004

  3. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:54:46 -0800, John M Deal wrote:

    > Which validator are you having a problem viewing the error message for?
    > I ask because I just tried adding a required field validator to a page
    > that had only a text box and a submit button on it and it showed up in
    > the IE source code in a span element whose id is the name of the
    > validator and an attribute called errormessage contains the error
    > message I set. Let us know the specific validator that you are having
    > an issue with and we can try out some possibilities from there.

    It's the requiredfieldValidator. It might be a setting we both have it
    different in VS?

    The other problem I have is I have a few textboxes with a few requiredfield
    validators plus a submit button in a webpage. In IE, everything works fine.
    In Opera and Firefox, the click event for the button gets fired even though
    the validators displayed messages that the text fields are blank. The event
    shouldn't get fired unless all required fields have something in them.

    John Dalberg

    John Dalberg, Dec 1, 2004
  4. My guess is if the validator has EnableClientScript=false, the messages
    won't be in the source...they'll only get passed back by the server after a
    post back. That could be your culprit right there.

    --
    Ben Strackany
    www.developmentnow.com

    Ben Strackany, Dec 1, 2004
  5. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:14:06 -0600, Ben Strackany wrote:

    > My guess is if the validator has EnableClientScript=false, the messages
    > won't be in the source...they'll only get passed back by the server after a
    > post back. That could be your culprit right there.

    enableclientscript is true, otherwise I won't be seeing the error messages
    associated with the validators. Plus when I use Opera and Firefox the
    source shows them.

    As for the Firefox and Opera issue I added a Page.Validate() and it works.

    --
    John Dalberg
    John Dalberg, Dec 1, 2004
  6. John Dalberg

    John M Deal Guest

    I did some digging and found that in FireFox the onSubmit for the form
    is dramatically different than it is in IE. My guess is that it has to
    do with BrowserCaps (the way ASP.Net determines if your browser can
    handle javascript and what-not and modifies what it sends based on that
    determination). Anyway here's a blog entry that someone wrote up on
    this that might be able to be used to help figure this out:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/mrupp/archive/2003/04/03/4789.aspx

    No promises but hopefully this will help. Oh, thanks to Clinton
    Gallagher over on microsoft.public.dotnet.general for the link (I
    "borrowed" it from him after he posted it just a few minutes ago).

    Have A Better One!

    John M Deal, MCP
    Necessity Software

    John M Deal, Dec 1, 2004
  7. John Dalberg

    bruce barker Guest

    if you use smart navigation, javascript changes the dom on the fly, so the
    source is not changed on postbacks (which happen in a hidden iframe - which
    in turn is generated by javascript - for which you can see the source). you
    need to use a dom inspector to see the changes made by smart nav.

    the html for validator is also generated by javascript (when you click a
    submit button), so you can not see them is the source. to see the source
    look in webuivalidation.js the strings themselves are store as attributes
    off of dom nodes and you can see them in the source.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 2, 2004
  8. John Dalberg

    Peter Blum Guest

    Microsoft wrote their client-side scripts using DHTML. FireFox uses a
    similar standard, DOM. There is enough of a difference that the scripts
    simply do not work on FireFox or any Mozilla-based browser.

    "Professional Validation And More" (http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx)
    is a replacement to the validators that supports client-side validation on
    IE, IE/Mac, Netscape 7, Mozilla, FireFox, Opera 7, and Safari on its 22
    validators. It overcomes numerous other limitations of Microsoft's browsers
    and greatly expands how your validators communicate with your users. It
    includes a conversion program to quickly migrate your existing pages.

    --- Peter Blum
    www.PeterBlum.com
    Email:

    Peter Blum, Dec 3, 2004