    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"
    , Feb 27, 2008

  2. C A Upsdell Guest

    wrote:
    > OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
    > But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
    > fatigue syndrome support group.
    >
    > I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    > they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >
    > Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >
    > Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
    >
    > How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

    You can get safari 3 (beta) for windows, at:

    http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

    When I tried your site, Safari crashed.

    Your page has 120 HTML errors and 317 CSS errors. Fix them.
    C A Upsdell, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Knut Krueger Guest

    Knut Krueger, Feb 27, 2008
  4. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    > they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >
    > Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

    The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
    Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)

    BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
    what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
    just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
    even going to try to debug your code.

    > How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

    Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
    worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
    Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
    maintenance should be much simpler.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Feb 27, 2008

    Thanks for the help, guys!
    , Feb 27, 2008
  6. Bergamot wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

    > .. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.

    ...and then hosted somewhere that doesn't add all that junk to it.
    Google for "geoshitties" ...

    Clueless in Seattle, does your ISP give you free web space?

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 27, 2008
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    wrote:

    > OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
    > But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
    > fatigue syndrome support group.
    >
    > I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    > they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >
    > Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >
    > Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
    >
    > How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. "Clueless"

    The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
    looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
    index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:

    http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/ I can see all of
    this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
    cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
    horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
    info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
    mean?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 27, 2008
  8. mrcakey Guest

    mrcakey, Feb 27, 2008
  9. C A Upsdell Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    >> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >>
    >> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

    > The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
    > Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)
    >
    > BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
    > what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
    > just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
    > even going to try to debug your code.
    >
    >> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

    > Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
    > worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
    > Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
    > maintenance should be much simpler.

    IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
    about proper HTML and CSS.
    C A Upsdell, Feb 27, 2008
  10. Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:50:01 -0500, C A Upsdell
    <> wrote:

    >Bergamot wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    >>> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

    >> The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
    >> Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)
    >>
    >> BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
    >> what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
    >> just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
    >> even going to try to debug your code.
    >>
    >>> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

    >> Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
    >> worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
    >> Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
    >> maintenance should be much simpler.
    >>

    >IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
    >about proper HTML and CSS.

    But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
    page..."
    Mike Barnard, Feb 27, 2008
  11. Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:26:27 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
    >But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
    >fatigue syndrome support group.

    >I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    >they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >
    >Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >
    >Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
    >
    >How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?
    >
    >Will in Seattle
    >a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Hi.

    I am a newbie to this and I've been helped by the good folks on this
    site a lot. I want to put a little back into the system so I would
    say this:

    If you feel you want to do the site properly and learn how to do
    basic, no tricks HTML & CSS then I can reccomend a good book which was
    reccomended to me. It has been very useful.

    "Head First HTML & XHTML with CSS" by O'Reilly. It's not expensive.
    It's like doing a classroom course without the hassle of other
    students and timetables.

    Then get some decent hosting! It doesn't have to cost a lot and I'm
    sure the organisation can afford $100??? (purely guessing.) a year.
    Google.

    Then REORGANISE that mess of links! If I wanted to find some
    information I wouldn't know where to look. I'd give up within a
    minute. Put the similar links together and form a sensible 'tree' of
    links. Make the topmost level your menu.

    Download the latest Firefox, Safari and Opera browsers. Test your
    design in Firefox first. If it works there, then test it in the
    others.

    This is my experience so far... I'm sure someone will tell me I'm
    talking poo but if I can help, I will. I am as I said an amateur
    newbie though.

    Good luck.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 28, 2008
  12. BootNic Guest

    wrote in news:092722bc-5dcc-4296-b3a3-
    :

    > OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
    > But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
    > fatigue syndrome support group.
    >
    > I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
    > they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
    >
    > Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
    >
    > Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
    >
    > How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

    You gave up real quick.

    There is a bit of css you can add to this page that may allow Safari to
    play nice.

    http://tinyurl.com/2zgyr7 almost a clone of your url with
    the bit of css added.

    body:after {
    content: '\00200B';
    position:fixed;
    bottom: 0;
    right:0;
    visibility: hidden;
    }

    http://tinyurl.com/2eheea browsershots.org

    --
    BootNic Wednesday February 27, 2008 7:47 PM
    Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you
    BootNic, Feb 28, 2008

    On Feb 27, 1:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
    > looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
    > index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/I can see all of
    > this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
    > cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
    > horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
    > info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
    > mean?

    No, that's not my web page. It's a website created by another member
    of the group.

    I've taken down my web page and substituted a redirection command in
    its place that will redirect all viewers to the alternate web site.

    The replies I received to my initial query were so disparaging and
    seemed to indicate that my page was ready for the scrap heap so I
    scrapped it. I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses and
    don't have the energy these days to tackle setting up a new web page.
    My old page was created by the old Geo-Cities Page Builder (or
    something like that) software over seven years ago, and I've been
    monkeying with the code ever since. I'm afraid I just made such a
    mess out of it that it became a hopeless case that had to be put out
    of its misery.

    After a few months of rest I may be ready to give it another go.
    , Feb 28, 2008

    On Feb 27, 4:04 pm, Mike Barnard <>
    wrote:

    > If you feel you want to do the site properly and learn how to do
    > basic, no tricks HTML & CSS then I can reccomend a good book which was
    > reccomended to me. It has been very useful.
    >
    > "Head First HTML & XHTML with CSS" by O'Reilly. It's not expensive.
    > It's like doing a classroom course without the hassle of other
    > students and timetables.

    I did find an identical title in the online catalog of the Seattle
    Public Library, but the author is different.

    "Head first HTML with CSS & XHTML" by Elisabeth Freeman & Eric
    Freeman.

    I'm going to order it anyway on the off chance that it's the same book
    you are recommending.

    > This is my experience so far... I'm sure someone will tell me I'm
    > talking poo but if I can help, I will. I am as I said an amateur
    > newbie though.

    Many thanks for the encouragement. I may give it another go after
    taking a rest break of a few weeks (or months). In the meantime, my
    page now links to a web site maintained by another support group
    member who really knows his HTML, so I may be off the hook for good.
    , Feb 28, 2008
  15. Mike Barnard wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:50:01 -0500, C A Upsdell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bergamot wrote:

    >>> The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
    >>> Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)
    >>>
    >>> BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
    >>> what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
    >>> just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
    >>> even going to try to debug your code.

    >>> Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
    >>> worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
    >>> Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
    >>> maintenance should be much simpler.
    >>>

    >>IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
    >>about proper HTML and CSS.

    > But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
    > page..."

    Well, he *could* tell them he's just too tired to do it...

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2008
  16. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    wrote:

    > On Feb 27, 1:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
    > > looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
    > > index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:
    > >
    > > http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/I can see all of
    > > this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
    > > cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
    > > horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
    > > info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
    > > mean?

    > No, that's not my web page. It's a website created by another member
    > of the group.
    >
    > I've taken down my web page and substituted a redirection command in
    > its place that will redirect all viewers to the alternate web site.
    >
    > The replies I received to my initial query were so disparaging and
    > seemed to indicate that my page was ready for the scrap heap so I
    > scrapped it. I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses and
    > don't have the energy these days to tackle setting up a new web page.
    > My old page was created by the old Geo-Cities Page Builder (or
    > something like that) software over seven years ago, and I've been
    > monkeying with the code ever since. I'm afraid I just made such a
    > mess out of it that it became a hopeless case that had to be put out
    > of its misery.
    >
    > After a few months of rest I may be ready to give it another go.

    I don't want to mess about with URLs any more. I am still no
    wiser? What specific set of letters and spaces and things should
    I type in my address bar and get to see your effort then?

    I will try to make some concrete suggestions for you. Proposals
    that should make it easier for you. It is easy to become
    disheartened, but chin up!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 28, 2008
  17. Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:12:58 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >On Feb 27, 4:04 pm, Mike Barnard <>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> If you feel you want to do the site properly and learn how to do
    >> basic, no tricks HTML & CSS then I can reccomend a good book which was
    >> reccomended to me. It has been very useful.
    >>
    >> "Head First HTML & XHTML with CSS" by O'Reilly. It's not expensive.
    >> It's like doing a classroom course without the hassle of other
    >> students and timetables.

    >I did find an identical title in the online catalog of the Seattle
    >Public Library, but the author is different.

    >"Head first HTML with CSS & XHTML" by Elisabeth Freeman & Eric
    >Freeman.

    Same book, the publisher is O'Reilly, the author is the same. Very
    good.

    >I'm going to order it anyway on the off chance that it's the same book
    >you are recommending.
    >

    >> This is my experience so far... I'm sure someone will tell me I'm
    >> talking poo but if I can help, I will. I am as I said an amateur
    >> newbie though.

    >Many thanks for the encouragement. I may give it another go after
    >taking a rest break of a few weeks (or months). In the meantime, my
    >page now links to a web site maintained by another support group
    >member who really knows his HTML, so I may be off the hook for good.

    Freedom tastes good. Good luck.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 28, 2008
  18. C A Upsdell Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Barnard wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:50:01 -0500, C A Upsdell
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
    >>> about proper HTML and CSS.

    >> But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
    >> page..."

    > Well, he *could* tell them he's just too tired to do it...

    Not funny.
    C A Upsdell, Feb 28, 2008
  19. C A Upsdell Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 1:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
    >> looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
    >> index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:
    >>
    >> http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/I can see all of
    >> this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
    >> cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
    >> horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
    >> info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
    >> mean?

    > No, that's not my web page. It's a website created by another member
    > of the group.
    >
    > I've taken down my web page and substituted a redirection command in
    > its place that will redirect all viewers to the alternate web site.
    >
    > The replies I received to my initial query were so disparaging and
    > seemed to indicate that my page was ready for the scrap heap so I
    > scrapped it. I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses ...

    I think that people were dissing your code, not you.

    As someone else severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses,
    including chronic fatigue, I suggest three alternatives, depending on
    what your long term objectives are:

    1. Learn how to use HTML and CSS, first creating simple pages, then
    advancing to more complex pages, as your energy budget permits. This
    alternative makes most sense if you wish to focus on becoming a
    designer. This is how I started.

    2. Use a tool that does everything for you. I have heard good things
    about Expression Web, Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage. This
    alternative makes most sense if your site will grow and change a lot
    over time.

    3. Find someone else in your community to make your page(s), perhaps on
    a pro bono basis. This makes most sense if your site will not change much.
    C A Upsdell, Feb 28, 2008
  20. C A Upsdell wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Barnard wrote:

    >>> But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
    >>> page..."

    >> Well, he *could* tell them he's just too tired to do it...

    > Not funny.

    Subjective.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2008