Why doesn't Safari display bottom of my page?

duckweather.in.seattle

OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

C A Upsdell

OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

You can get safari 3 (beta) for windows, at:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

When I tried your site, Safari crashed.

Your page has 120 HTML errors and 317 CSS errors. Fix them.

Bergamot

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)

BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
even going to try to debug your code.
How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
maintenance should be much simpler.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bergamot said:
.. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.

...and then hosted somewhere that doesn't add all that junk to it.
Google for "geoshitties" ...

Clueless in Seattle, does your ISP give you free web space?

dorayme

<[email protected]
OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:

http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/ I can see all of
this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
mean?

C A Upsdell

Bergamot said:
The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up. ;)

BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
even going to try to debug your code.

Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
maintenance should be much simpler.

IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
about proper HTML and CSS.

Mike Barnard

IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
about proper HTML and CSS.

But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
page..."

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:26:27 -0800 (PST),
OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.
I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Hi.

I am a newbie to this and I've been helped by the good folks on this
site a lot. I want to put a little back into the system so I would
say this:

If you feel you want to do the site properly and learn how to do
basic, no tricks HTML & CSS then I can reccomend a good book which was
reccomended to me. It has been very useful.

"Head First HTML & XHTML with CSS" by O'Reilly. It's not expensive.
It's like doing a classroom course without the hassle of other
students and timetables.

Then get some decent hosting! It doesn't have to cost a lot and I'm
sure the organisation can afford $100??? (purely guessing.) a year.
Google.

Then REORGANISE that mess of links! If I wanted to find some
information I wouldn't know where to look. I'd give up within a
minute. Put the similar links together and form a sensible 'tree' of
links. Make the topmost level your menu.

Download the latest Firefox, Safari and Opera browsers. Test your
design in Firefox first. If it works there, then test it in the
others.

This is my experience so far... I'm sure someone will tell me I'm
talking poo but if I can help, I will. I am as I said an amateur
newbie though.

Good luck.

BootNic

(e-mail address removed) wrote in (e-mail address removed):
OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

You gave up real quick.

There is a bit of css you can add to this page that may allow Safari to
play nice.

http://tinyurl.com/2zgyr7 almost a clone of your url with
the bit of css added.

body:after {
content: '\00200B';
position:fixed;
bottom: 0;
right:0;
visibility: hidden;
}

http://tinyurl.com/2eheea browsershots.org

duckweather.in.seattle

The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:

http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/I can see all of
this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
mean?

No, that's not my web page. It's a website created by another member
of the group.

I've taken down my web page and substituted a redirection command in
its place that will redirect all viewers to the alternate web site.

The replies I received to my initial query were so disparaging and
seemed to indicate that my page was ready for the scrap heap so I
scrapped it. I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses and
don't have the energy these days to tackle setting up a new web page.
My old page was created by the old Geo-Cities Page Builder (or
something like that) software over seven years ago, and I've been
monkeying with the code ever since. I'm afraid I just made such a
mess out of it that it became a hopeless case that had to be put out
of its misery.

After a few months of rest I may be ready to give it another go.

duckweather.in.seattle

If you feel you want to do the site properly and learn how to do
basic, no tricks HTML & CSS then I can reccomend a good book which was
reccomended to me. It has been very useful.

"Head First HTML & XHTML with CSS" by O'Reilly. It's not expensive.
It's like doing a classroom course without the hassle of other
students and timetables.

I did find an identical title in the online catalog of the Seattle
Public Library, but the author is different.

"Head first HTML with CSS & XHTML" by Elisabeth Freeman & Eric
Freeman.

I'm going to order it anyway on the off chance that it's the same book
you are recommending.

This is my experience so far... I'm sure someone will tell me I'm
talking poo but if I can help, I will. I am as I said an amateur
newbie though.

Many thanks for the encouragement. I may give it another go after
taking a rest break of a few weeks (or months). In the meantime, my
page now links to a web site maintained by another support group
member who really knows his HTML, so I may be off the hook for good.

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
[...]

I don't want to mess about with URLs any more. I am still no
wiser? What specific set of letters and spaces and things should
I type in my address bar and get to see your effort then?

I will try to make some concrete suggestions for you. Proposals
that should make it easier for you. It is easy to become
disheartened, but chin up!

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:12:58 -0800 (PST),
I did find an identical title in the online catalog of the Seattle
Public Library, but the author is different.
"Head first HTML with CSS & XHTML" by Elisabeth Freeman & Eric
Freeman.

Same book, the publisher is O'Reilly, the author is the same. Very
good.
I'm going to order it anyway on the off chance that it's the same book
you are recommending.

Many thanks for the encouragement. I may give it another go after
taking a rest break of a few weeks (or months). In the meantime, my
page now links to a web site maintained by another support group
member who really knows his HTML, so I may be off the hook for good.

Freedom tastes good. Good luck.

C A Upsdell

No, that's not my web page. It's a website created by another member
of the group.

I've taken down my web page and substituted a redirection command in
its place that will redirect all viewers to the alternate web site.

The replies I received to my initial query were so disparaging and
seemed to indicate that my page was ready for the scrap heap so I
scrapped it. I'm severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses ...

I think that people were dissing your code, not you.

As someone else severely disabled by multiple chronic illnesses,
including chronic fatigue, I suggest three alternatives, depending on
what your long term objectives are:

1. Learn how to use HTML and CSS, first creating simple pages, then
advancing to more complex pages, as your energy budget permits. This
alternative makes most sense if you wish to focus on becoming a
designer. This is how I started.

2. Use a tool that does everything for you. I have heard good things
about Expression Web, Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage. This
alternative makes most sense if your site will grow and change a lot
over time.

3. Find someone else in your community to make your page(s), perhaps on
a pro bono basis. This makes most sense if your site will not change much.