Why doesn't this work on Netscape 7.1

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jeff Wisnia, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I'd enjoy learning why this piece of javascript code which I cribbed a
    couple of years ago (It creates a trail of bubbles following the mouse
    pointer.) works fine in IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.79, but doesn't do its
    thing when under Netscape 7.1?

    I've viewed javascript "test pages" on Netscape 7.1, and they seem to
    work ok, so I'm presuming there's something obsolete about the code in
    this page of mine:

    http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/bubbletrail.htm

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --

    Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    "If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame it on."
    Jeff Wisnia, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Randy Webb Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    > I'd enjoy learning why this piece of javascript code which I cribbed a
    > couple of years ago (It creates a trail of bubbles following the mouse
    > pointer.) works fine in IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.79, but doesn't do its
    > thing when under Netscape 7.1?

    Because its IE and NN4.xx specific code that relies on browser detection
    to run. And it incorrectly assumes that Netscape 7's DOM is the same as
    Netscape 4's based simply on the word "Netscape" being in the userAgent
    string.

    Open your page, in NS7, go Tools>Web Development>Javascript Console

    > I've viewed javascript "test pages" on Netscape 7.1, and they seem to
    > work ok, so I'm presuming there's something obsolete about the code in
    > this page of mine:

    Lots of obsolete things, the most obsolete being browser detection based
    on userAgent strings

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    Alan P Guest

    "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    > I'd enjoy learning why this piece of javascript code which I cribbed a
    > couple of years ago (It creates a trail of bubbles following the mouse
    > pointer.) works fine in IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.79, but doesn't do its
    > thing when under Netscape 7.1?
    >
    > I've viewed javascript "test pages" on Netscape 7.1, and they seem to
    > work ok, so I'm presuming there's something obsolete about the code in
    > this page of mine:
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/bubbletrail.htm
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
    >
    > "If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone

    to blame it on."

    Could you please format the code properly as well :-( zero layers of
    indentation and brackets seemingly randomly placed make not easy debugging
    do
    Alan P, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    DJ WIce Guest