Why doesn't this work on Netscape 7.1

Jeff Wisnia

I'd enjoy learning why this piece of javascript code which I cribbed a
couple of years ago (It creates a trail of bubbles following the mouse
pointer.) works fine in IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.79, but doesn't do its
thing when under Netscape 7.1?

I've viewed javascript "test pages" on Netscape 7.1, and they seem to
work ok, so I'm presuming there's something obsolete about the code in
this page of mine:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/bubbletrail.htm

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Randy Webb

Jeff said:
I'd enjoy learning why this piece of javascript code which I cribbed a
couple of years ago (It creates a trail of bubbles following the mouse
pointer.) works fine in IE 6.0 and Netscape 4.79, but doesn't do its
thing when under Netscape 7.1?

Because its IE and NN4.xx specific code that relies on browser detection
to run. And it incorrectly assumes that Netscape 7's DOM is the same as
Netscape 4's based simply on the word "Netscape" being in the userAgent
string.

Open your page, in NS7, go Tools>Web Development>Javascript Console
I've viewed javascript "test pages" on Netscape 7.1, and they seem to
work ok, so I'm presuming there's something obsolete about the code in
this page of mine:

Lots of obsolete things, the most obsolete being browser detection based
on userAgent strings

Alan P

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame it on."

Could you please format the code properly as well :-( zero layers of
indentation and brackets seemingly randomly placed make not easy debugging
do