    but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    , Mar 19, 2009

  2. wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    No.
    I you change to a different language, you can try trolling in newsgroups
    for that language instead of here.

    Martin Ambuhl, Mar 19, 2009

    On 19 Mar, 11:43, wrote:

    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,

    why? This is a serious question, how you answer it affects the answer.

    If you just want to learn another language, why C++? Why not choose
    one
    with a different paradigm? You could look at Python, ML or smalltalk.

    Or do you want to learn OO? You might be better off learning OOD
    (Design)
    rather than OOP (Programming).

    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    small, portable, close to the machine. The usual advice these
    days is to learn a "soft" language (interpreted?) like Ruby
    or Python. They are, allegedly, more productive.

    --
    The world you perceive is drastically simplified model of the real
    world

    , Mar 19, 2009
  4. writes:

    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    There are always some reasons to stick with what you know, simply
    because you know it, but learning is always good (if you have time).
    Try to write at least one program in a new language every year. That
    way, in a few years time, you will be better placed to answer this
    sort of question for yourself.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 19, 2009

    I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
    simply flamebait.

    On Mar 19, 6:43 am, wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    There are good reasons to stick with C. There are also good reasons
    to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
    sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

    No one language is universally better at everything than every other
    language. There are application domains where C is still the best
    answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
    best answer.

    , Mar 19, 2009
  6. Sjouke Burry Guest

    wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    Is there any reason for trolling in a C group?
    Or for cursing loudly in a church??

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 20, 2009

    blargg <> wrote:

    > i'm assuming most people here use english
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably esperanto,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with english?

    Onay, utbay Igpay Atinlay ishay ahay uchmay etterbay oicechay.
    --
    Larry Jones

    It works on the same principle as electroshock therapy. -- Calvin

    , Mar 20, 2009
  8. Richard Bos Guest

    wrote:

    > blargg <> wrote:
    > >
    > > i'm assuming most people here use english
    > > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably esperanto,
    > > are there any good reasons to stick with english?

    > Onay, utbay Igpay Atinlay ishay ahay uchmay etterbay oicechay.

    I move that the next Standard be published in that language.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Mar 21, 2009
  9. JosephKK Guest

    On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:43:53 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >hi,
    >i'm assuming that most people here use c
    >but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    >are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    Perhaps a better question is "what to move on to?", justify your
    choice(s). Besides, most programmers i know use more than one
    programming language. Know your tools and how to apply them.
    .

    JosephKK, Mar 22, 2009
  10. On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:10:58 -0700,
    "JosephKK"<> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:43:53 -0700 (PDT),
    >wrote:
    >
    >>hi,
    >>i'm assuming that most people here use c
    >>but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    >>are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    >Perhaps a better question is "what to move on to?", justify your
    >choice(s).

    But not here. There is already too much garbage in this newsgroup.

    --
    Remove del for email

    Barry Schwarz, Mar 22, 2009
  11. On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:41:57 +0000, Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote:

    >Barry Schwarz said:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> There is already too much garbage in this newsgroup.

    >That's what killfiles are for. :)

    They are barely effective when others keep responding to the off topic
    detritus.

    --
    Remove del for email

    Barry Schwarz, Mar 23, 2009
  12. On Mar 19, 6:43 am, wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    We choose to do these things not because they are easy,
    but because they are hard.

    luser-ex-troll, Mar 23, 2009
  13. user923005 Guest

    On Mar 19, 7:28 am, wrote:
    > I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
    > simply flamebait.
    >
    > On Mar 19, 6:43 am, wrote:
    >
    > > hi,
    > > i'm assuming that most people here use c
    > > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
    > > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

    > There are good reasons to stick with C.  There are also good reasons
    > to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
    > sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

    If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
    everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.
    I would not write a database in Java (though people have).
    I would not write weather calculation or seismic calculation programs
    in Java (though people have).
    But if I needed to write a very portable user interface that runs on
    Windows and Linux and Solaris and AIX and OpenVMS etc. Java would be
    pretty hard to beat.
    Mono is beta on Posix, in my opinion.

    > No one language is universally better at everything than every other
    > language.  There are application domains where C is still the best
    > answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
    > best answer.

    There are domains where the only choices are C and assembler. I would
    probably choose C in those circumstances.

    user923005, Mar 23, 2009
  14. Richard Bos Guest

    user923005 <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 7:28=A0am, wrote:
    > >
    > > There are good reasons to stick with C. =A0There are also good reasons
    > > to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
    > > sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

    > If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
    > everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.

    s/works almost/almost works/, TYVM.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Mar 24, 2009