why explicit package name required?

Geoff Cox

Hello,

I get the warning that the global symbol (re $picnumber on last line
below) requires explicit package name - I am not clear why. If I
remove the # from the first line that value of $picnumber is used on
the last line shown below.

What am I missing here?

Geoff

# my $picnumber = 20;

find sub {

if (-d $_) {

if ($_ eq "location") {
$picnumber = 20;
}

return;

}

line which uses $picnumber

Anno Siegel

Geoff Cox said:
Hello,

I get the warning that the global symbol (re $picnumber on last line
below) requires explicit package name - I am not clear why. If I
remove the # from the first line that value of $picnumber is used on
the last line shown below.

What am I missing here?

Geoff

# my $picnumber = 20;

find sub {

if ($_ eq "location") {
$picnumber = 20;
}

return;

}

line which uses $picnumber

perldoc -f my. Also see "strict vars" in perldoc strict.

Anno