Why "flat is better than nested"?

Andreas Waldenburger

But your original statement maps out to:

I know that X that that that boy said is wrong.

So this would apply to a specific 'that boy', hence Stefan's
question :)

No, it wouldn't, hence Stefan's (and your) error. It maps to a specific
boy. Replacing "that"s where possible, it becomes:

I know that [the] "that" [which] that boy said is wrong.

/W

alex23

Andreas Waldenburger said:
No, it wouldn't, hence Stefan's (and your) error. It maps to a specific
boy. Replacing "that"s where possible, it becomes:

I know that [the] "that" [which] that boy said is wrong.

Ah, I see now: I know that that "that" that _that_ boy said is wrong :)

rantingrick

Although the Zen is written in a light-hearted fashion, it is not
intended as a joke. Every line in the Zen is genuine advice -- even the
one about being Dutch. Would it help to write it out in a less light-
hearted fashion?

When programming in Python, you should:

<...snip...>

Bravo! Bravo!

That eloquently verbose description of the Zen left a tear in my eye
and a patriotic pride in my heart. Oh Guido, stop moonlighting as
D'Aprano and use your real name again! The second coming of GvR is
upon us!

;-)

J. Gerlach

Am 28.10.2010 03:40, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
[ snip a lot of wise words ]

Can I put this (translated) in the german python wiki?
I guess it might help more people to understand some decisions taken
during python's development - and I'm to lazy to do something similar
myself ;)

Greetings from Berlin
Jörg Gerlach

Steven D'Aprano

Am 28.10.2010 03:40, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
[ snip a lot of wise words ]

Can I put this (translated) in the german python wiki? I guess it might
help more people to understand some decisions taken during python's
development - and I'm to lazy to do something similar myself ;)

Sure, go ahead.

I would appreciate a link back to my post, and/or credit, but that's not
essential. (I understand it's a wiki and there's no guarantee that the
link will remain there forever.)

rustom

Well, it's pretty *enshrined*, wouldn't you say?  After all, it is
part of the standard distribution, has an easy-to-remember invocation,
etc.  *Someone* must have taken it seriously enough to go through
all this bother.  If it is as trivial as you suggest (and for all
I know you're absolutely right), then let's knock it off its pedestal
once and for all, and remove it from the standard distribution.

~kj

If you take zen seriously you dont get it
If you dont take zen seriously you dont get it
That -- seriously -- is zen

J. Gerlach

Am 06.11.2010 02:36, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
Am 28.10.2010 03:40, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
[ snip a lot of wise words ]

Can I put this (translated) in the german python wiki? I guess it might
help more people to understand some decisions taken during python's
development - and I'm to lazy to do something similar myself ;)

Sure, go ahead.

I would appreciate a link back to my post, and/or credit, but that's not
essential. (I understand it's a wiki and there's no guarantee that the
link will remain there forever.)
Thank you, and of course I gave you credit. I linked back to your post
via googlegroups.

rustom

You forgot:

If you explain zen you don't get it

I guess different communities have different settings for 'explanation-
toleration' (as also 'seriousness')

eg. Classical zen: If you the Buddha on the road kill him!

Now :s/the Buddha/Jesus Christ/ and it suddenly seems more offensive
-- not because the Buddha and Jesus Christ are all that different but
because the respective communities have different seriousness
defaults.

And as for another teacher whose sphere of influence was a few hundred
km from Jesus' I am going to be even more careful because the
seriousness-defaults are set lower still...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
rustom said:
If you take zen seriously you dont get it
If you dont take zen seriously you dont get it
That -- seriously -- is zen

I don’t get it.