Why has Java browser plugin higher priority than additional J2EE java installation ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ulf Meinhardt, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. I installed previously (successfully) J2EE 1.6 with jdk.

    When I open now a command prompt and enter

    java -version

    then much to my surprise "java version 1.4.2_14" is displayed.

    When I search for "java.exe" on all my partitions no other java.exe is found.

    So the only possibility is that this is the (IntExp) browser plugin java.

    However it was installed BEFORE the new J2EE installation.

    Why does J2EE not remove/disable the old installation?

    If I look on the path environment variable only the J2EE java.exe is included:
    path=......;D:\java\j2ee\jdk\bin;....

    and if I go into this directory (D:\java\j2ee\jdk\bin) and type there

    java -version

    then the correct version is display 1.6.

    JAVA_HOME=D:\java\J2EE\jdk
    is set to the new version as well.

    So why has the old java plugin still priority over the new java installation?

    From my point of view Java plugin should serve ONLY Java applets in browsers - nothing more
    especially not for compiling.

    Ulf

    Ulf Meinhardt, Nov 13, 2007