Why I like only C++?

crea

This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++ (or
maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...

I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at all.

Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.

Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?

Victor Bazarov

This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++ (or
maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...

I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at all.

Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.

Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?

When you get to program more, and the language becomes your tool, not
your toy, you lose the special relationship (gradually), and start
developing affinity to solutions, not methods of [en]coding them.

Paul

crea said:
This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++
(or maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...

I remember doing a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at
all.

Also I lack of interest when I am asked to use other languages.

Can one be "healed" of this kind of thing?

If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan. C# would've been
nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.

The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
asm. Its the low level understanding of what's going on that you're probsbly
bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax. But having said that I
prefer C++,C, Pascal, Java, javascipt, PHP, C# style syntax to VB
syntax(which is completely different to all the rest).

Brian

Paul said:
If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan. C# would've
been nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.

The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you
learn asm. Its the low level understanding of what's going on that
you're probsbly bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax.
But having said that I prefer C++,C, Pascal, Java, javascipt, PHP, C#
style syntax to VB syntax(which is completely different to all the
rest).

Pascal? Whoa! Pascal is not a curly-brace language! (And therefore sucks,
of course).

Juha Nieminen

Paul said:
The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
asm.

That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.

Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?

Paul

Juha Nieminen said:
That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.

Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?
As I said its not the sysntax its the understanding of the underlying
mechanics. Java syntax is almost identical but with better array
declarations but you don't think of it the same.

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
And if *you* understood the underlying mechanics you wouldn't keep
bleating that a member function is a member of an object.
Shut up arsehole, i have already proven that is utter shite and that you are
nothing more than a clueless idiot.

<snip>

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
And if *you* understood the underlying mechanics you wouldn't keep
bleating that a member function is a member of an object.

In C++ a member function is a member of a class not a member of an object;
after compilation functions (member of otherwise) only exist as machine
code in the text segment; in C++ an object is simply a region of storage.
16-bit MS-DOS tiny memory model is one clear example of a non segmented
memory model.
Strange how we can use C++ functions in these programs, yet they have no
text segement.

Something is wrong , its either you or the complete computer programming
world.

Nick Keighley

narrow thinking? You'll be abetter programmer if you learn a couple
of extra languages. They allow you to think about different ways to
address problems. And it is simply easier to do things in some
languages than others. Perl excels at pattern matching and
substitution. It's a pain trying to do Perl things in C++. (Maybe the
Boost regexp stuff makes it better- the sytax looked a little awkward
to me).

probably wise not to like VB. There world of computer langues is
slightly larger than C++ and VB!

If MS brought out C# before VB I would've been a big fan.

I've heard C# described as the language that VB should have been.

C# would've been
nice for excel , but VB is a no go area for me.

The mental bond you have with C++ will probably dissapear when/if you learn
asm.

you've got to be kidding.

Its the low level understanding of what's going on that you're probsbly
bonded with, nothing to do with the language syntax.

At least my C++ programs have a fair chance of running on different
platforms. asm means I'm tied to today's platform. Plus it'll be ten
times harder to write the program in the first place.

Nick Keighley

  That's the most random and surrealistic comment I have seen in a while.

  Why would his attitude towards C++ change in any way if he learns asm?

he relises how much pain and suffering C++ is sheltering him from

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
I have already instructed you on more than one occasion what is meant by
the term "text segment". The only "memory" problem is the problem with
your own memory; you should probably go and see your GP and get your
brain/mental state sorted out.
No you have not clarified what you mean by "text segement" all you have
clarified is that you don't know what you are talknig about.

A text segment only exists n the context of a memory model, you seem to
refer to another kind of text segment that has nothing to with memory
models.

Ahh voila! Now I understand you mean text segment as in part of a sentence ,
i.e:
this is a string of text, containing a segment of text, maybe called a text
segement.
You are being philosophical like SG with his philosophy of sentences and
statements ?

Paul

At least my C++ programs have a fair chance of running on different
platforms. asm means I'm tied to today's platform. Plus it'll be ten
times harder to write the program in the first place.

Normally if you use assembly you don't need it to be portable. With many
embedded systems your only option is to use asm.
Assembly can also do things you can't do in C++, so sometimes its necessary.

As you said it's simply easier to do things in some languages than others.

HTH
Paul.

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
A "text segment" does not require a segmented memory model:

Yes it does. A memory model with no segments doesn't have a text segment.
"In computing, a code segment, also known as a text segment or simply as
text, is a phrase used to refer to a portion of memory or of an object
file that contains executable instructions."
What you are talking about here is a segmented memory model. It's not the
general case for *all* computer programs.
It is possible for the "text segment" and "data segment" to be represented
by the same "memory segment" on platforms with segmented memory models or
to be equivalent on platforms without a segmented memory model.
So what is this segment called the "teta" or the "daxt" segment?
Even on platforms without a segmented memory model it is common for an
executable file to be structured in such a way that data follows the code.
But there are no segments , no text segment , no data segment no stack
segment. So your statement ref: "after compilation functions (member of
otherwise) only exist as machine code in the text segment" is complete
bullshit.

<snip rest of Leighs tripe.>

Ebenezer

This is strange. I dont like any project using other languages than C++ (or
maybe C). Why is this? Somekind of mental bond...

I remember doing  a project with VB in a company. I did not like it at all.

Sorry about that. I don't think I'd like that either. I know a
little Perl, Python and shell scripts, but am mostly interested
in C++. I run across things like this -- http://www.quicklz.com/ [1]
and I'm just glad I haven't spent time learning C# or Java.
The link maybe doesn't prove anything, but I tend to think it does.
Scott Meyers has confessed to being pretty much a C++ only guy.
I think of it like a marriage. I'm happy with C++. It hasn't let
me down.

[1] I've switched to using that compression library. It is
amazing to me how that code is all of nine-hundred some lines.
So far it is working great. Oh and I would like to commend his
license terms here. If you are a small company, say just one
person, it is free.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

K4 Monk

No you have not clarified what you mean by "text segement" all you have
clarified is that you don't know what you are talknig about.

A text segment only exists n the context of a memory model, you seem to
refer to another kind of text segment that has nothing to with memory
models.

Ahh voila! Now I understand you mean text segment as in part of a sentence ,
i.e:
this is a string of text, containing a segment of text, maybe called a text
segement.
You are being philosophical like SG with his philosophy of sentences and
statements ?

Not all programs need a text or data segments if not running in
protected mode. For example in MS-DOS's .COM files, it was just pure
binary without any extra hooplas that EXE files have (haven't
understood them yet).

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
No; text and data segments were the same in .COM files; "text segments"
and "data segments" do not require a segmented memory model; "text
segment" is computer science term with a specific meaning not requiring a
segmented memory model.
The term "text segment" only has a meaning in the context of a memory model.
If the memory model has no segments there is no text segment.

Leighs *specific* meaning of "text segment" seems to be another typical
example of his verbal diahorrea.

Paul

Leigh Johnston said:
"Text segments" do not require a segmented memory model;

Explain what a text segment is in a non segmented memory model then.. :)

|<snip>
*waits for the flow of verbal diahorrea to begin*

hanukas

Explain what a text segment is in a non segmented memory model then.. :)

It's still a text segment, does't matter if it's mapped through
descriptor, page or something else. The name is an artifact from times
long bygone, we're stuck with it.