    good idea?

    --
    Rafa³ Maj
    Raf256, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Raf256 wrote :
    > Hi,
    > anyone have perhaps a nice link expaining (best: for not advanced users)
    > why Internet Explorer 7 is outdated as well as 5,6, and others,

    MSIE 5.01 and MSIE 5.5 are IE versions which are, in my opinion, clearly
    outdated, definitely buggy, with wrong/bad implementation and
    disconnected from widely supported web standards. MSIE 5.x for Mac is no
    longer supported. MSIE 5.x represents now less than 5% worldwide of the
    browser market and such figure will diminish with time as users
    naturally upgrade their system and their browser.

    MSIE 6 is better than MSIE 5.5 but marginally.

    MSIE 6 bug collections sites listing hundreds of bugs, incorrect
    implementations and missing features:

    * HTML 4.01 conformance tests by Robin Lionheart
    http://www.robinlionheart.com/stds/html4/results

    * Collections of CSS 1 bugs, CSS 2.1 bugs and CSS support for MSIE
    6 at channel9
    http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerSupportforCSS

    * MSIE 6 Crash bugs, MSIE 6 programming bugs, MSIE 6 DOM bugs at
    channel 9
    http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerProgrammingBugs

    * Explorer exposed by Holly and John (position is everything)
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

    * MSIE 6 web standards violations by Holly and John (position is
    everything)
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/ie-primer.html

    * MSIE 6 Standards Support and related bugs at channel 9
    http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport

    * 102 bugs reported regarding MSIE 6 at Peter-Paul Koch site
    http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/archives/explorer_windows/

    * Hixie's evil CSS testcases by Ian Hickson
    http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1051031464&count=1

    * Wrong z-index implementation bugs by Aleksandar Vaciæ
    http://www.aplus.co.yu/css/z-pos/index2.php

    * Draft CSS 2 Test Suite at
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/tests/css2/index.html and the results
    for MSIE 6 at http://www.designdetector.com/articles/results.html

    MSIE 7 is still in beta: so, in all fairness, it's obviously too early
    to claim that IE 7 is outdated.

    "In IE7, we will fix as many of the worst bugs that web developers hit
    as we can, and we will add the critical most-requested features from the
    standards as well." July 29th 2005
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/7/29.aspx

    IE 7 will have tab-browsing feature, will have anti-phishing features,
    better security, a lot of CSS1 and CSS2.1 bug fixes, a stricter CSS
    parser, etc..

    IE 7 beta 2 is supposed to be released in 1st quarter of 2006 according
    to IE7 blog.

    But already, you can be sure of several points, as these were officially
    announced by Chris Wilson:
    - MSIE 7 final release will not pass webstandards.org's acid2 test
    - MSIE 7 final release will not be available for Windows 2000, ME and
    Windows 98 (which represent approx. roughly 40% of the current Windows
    users)
    - MSIE 7 final release will not support "application/xml+xhtml" MIME type
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/9/15.aspx
    - MSIE 7 final release will not fully comply with HTML 4.01 regarding
    its implementation of <object>

    For many reasons, I believe MSIE 7 final release will still be behind
    other browsers (Firefox 1.5, Opera 9, Safari 2.x) support for CSS
    (including CSS3), DOM 2 support (possibly Events interface and other
    interfaces) and possibly accessibility features.

    In all fairness, it is too premature to claim that MSIE 7 will be
    surpassed by other browsers but, at least in some particular areas, it
    will be lagging behind other browsers.

    and why
    > switching to normal browsers like Opera/FireFox/Mozilla/Netscape/etc is a
    > good idea?

    One reason why you should switch which I think is a crushing reason:
    Microsoft did nothing, absolutely nothing between September 2001 and
    June 2004 to improve MSIE 6, to correct/fix bugs in MSIE 6, to improve
    MSIE 6 implementations, to increase support/features/web standards
    overall. No one at Microsoft can argue with this. Microsoft started to
    "care about" IE only after it became utterly clear that Firefox browser
    was going to become a success.

    During all that time, Safari, Opera and Mozilla browsers were improved,
    corrected, etc.. And these browser manufacturers always had 1,000 to
    10,000 times less resources (financial, human, technical,
    organizational) than Microsoft resources.

    Gérard
    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Raf256

    Guest

    To put it all extremely simple, they just work better. Nothing against
    Microsoft, but its time for them to realize that too.
    , Dec 26, 2005