why is com-prompt faster and how do i start at cprompt at mydir/ ?

notnorwegian

when running a very computationalheavy program in the shell it
sometimes freezes but the commandprompt runs it without problems and
muh faster, why?

also, the command prompt starts at C:\Users\user>

i want to start at C:\python25\progs

how do i change that?

notnorwegian

Can you tell us exactly which programs you mean when you say "the
shell" and "the commandprompt"?

--
\ "One seldom discovers a true believer that is worth knowing." |
`\ -- Henry L. Mencken |

commandprompt = windows dos-windows

shell = standard python interactive prompt

notnorwegian

Thanks.

Be aware that referring to "the shell" without further qualification
is usually understood to mean "the operating system shell", i.e. the
command shell provided for running operating system commands.

So, you're asking about the difference in behaviour between "the
Windows command shell" versus "the Python interactive shell".

--
\ “I cannot conceive that anybody will require multiplications |
`\ at the rate of 40,000 or even 4,000 per hour ...” —F. H. |

yes

bukzor

There's also the IDLE interactive shell, which is definitely slower,
and I suspect this is what he's talking about. If you run 'python.exe'
from the windows C: prompt is it still slow?

Gabriel Genellina

when running a very computationalheavy program in the shell it
sometimes freezes but the commandprompt runs it without problems and
muh faster, why?

My Palantir isn't working very well lately, so it's hard to tell what's wrong if you don't show us the code...
also, the command prompt starts at C:\Users\user>

i want to start at C:\python25\progs

how do i change that?

I don't see how is this related to Python, but anyway: right-click on the icon/shortcut you use to open it, select Properties, and change its "Start in" directory.