Why is everything so darned declarative?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Angel, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. Angel

    Angel Guest

    The question I ask somewhat rhetorically. It deals with the Gridview and
    DetailsView controls. A while back I wanted to put these two guys on a page
    and make use of the model for data binding meaning using DataSource Property.
    No angle brackets no datasource controls just code. I also wanted to define
    all columns programmatically (no declarative stuff). To complicate matters I
    needed to embed dropdowns so I needed custom templates and again done
    completely programmatically.

    I also wanted input maskedits for the DetailsView control and of course,
    done programmatically. Astonishingly, this information was very difficult to
    get even a partially clear answer to. All examples seem to be based on the
    new declarative mode with nearly nothing done programmatically. Did I miss
    the memo? When was it ordained that we’re no longer programmers and instead
    are subjugated to a life of angle brackets?

    It may be that I am an IDIOT and just not great at finding or using my
    resources. So I asked once again. If I asked you the above question what
    resource would you recommend for me to look at in order to get my
    information?

    As I said before the question is asked rhetorically because it has been a
    month since I first asked this question on one of this forums and got nearly
    nothing in the way of an answer and certainly nothing useful. So I had to
    piece it together very painfully from reading a dozen books and some
    references from the MSDN library and a few helpful links on the web. The
    MSDN offered the most help specially when creating dynamic templates but it
    was very raw information and it was not directly applicable to detailsview
    control. So I had to put that together by trial and error. The experience
    with VS2003 and the datagrid help me very much here. The point is that
    without my experience it would be doubtful I would have achieved what I
    wanted to do and I find this amazing.

    --
    aaa

    Angel, Jan 19, 2008