why is "Home Directory" grayed out in IIS Manager?

Ed

Hello All,

I posted earlier about a problem I was having with editing
or pasting/deleting files in the "Home Directory" of my
web server. I just noticed that the "Home Directory"
option in the "Home Directory" tab is grayed out. Why
would this be grayed out?

Would this be a configuration thing or a permissions
thing? I have an administrator account on this server
computer which I do development work on and is not
accessible outside the firewall of my company. However,
the I.T. dept maintains it (but I am the only user of this
machine). So is there some setting I need to set in IIS
manager to endable the "Home Directory" or do I need to
contact I.T.? Note: I can create virtual directories to
my heart's content. I just can't set the "Home
Directory". Any advice appreciated what I need to do to
enable the "Home Directory" option.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed

Sorry in advance if I sound like I was freaking out. So
on the website Identification window, I was infact able to
change the home directory of the identifier to a new "Home
directory". Now I don't have the problems I was having.
However, the old directory is still locked. Maybe it is
an NTFS thing. I can't delete anything from this old
directory. Is it a windows thing? or is the old "Home
Directory" still connected to IIS?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed

No. I rebooted the whole machine (mouse wasn't
clicking). Then I reset security on the old directory. I
was now able to delete everything.

When you reboot the computer does that also stop and
restart IIS? I did stop and restart IIS before I created
the new Home Directory. I was still having the same
problems. I really have to face the fact that I am still
a beginner with IIS. I had a class in IIS several years
ago (IIS4). But I learn the most by fooling around with
it.

Thanks for the reply,
Ed

joker

Well a system reboot would stop the service at shutdown & restart it
after the system starts coming up. I'm not sure at his point.