why is "Home Directory" grayed out in IIS Manager?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ed, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hello All,

    I posted earlier about a problem I was having with editing
    or pasting/deleting files in the "Home Directory" of my
    web server. I just noticed that the "Home Directory"
    option in the "Home Directory" tab is grayed out. Why
    would this be grayed out?

    Would this be a configuration thing or a permissions
    thing? I have an administrator account on this server
    computer which I do development work on and is not
    accessible outside the firewall of my company. However,
    the I.T. dept maintains it (but I am the only user of this
    machine). So is there some setting I need to set in IIS
    manager to endable the "Home Directory" or do I need to
    contact I.T.? Note: I can create virtual directories to
    my heart's content. I just can't set the "Home
    Directory". Any advice appreciated what I need to do to
    enable the "Home Directory" option.

    Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Sorry in advance if I sound like I was freaking out. So
    on the website Identification window, I was infact able to
    change the home directory of the identifier to a new "Home
    directory". Now I don't have the problems I was having.
    However, the old directory is still locked. Maybe it is
    an NTFS thing. I can't delete anything from this old
    directory. Is it a windows thing? or is the old "Home
    Directory" still connected to IIS?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Ed

    joker Guest

    Did you stop & restart the IIS server after changing the home directory?

    joker, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    No. I rebooted the whole machine (mouse wasn't
    clicking). Then I reset security on the old directory. I
    was now able to delete everything.

    When you reboot the computer does that also stop and
    restart IIS? I did stop and restart IIS before I created
    the new Home Directory. I was still having the same
    problems. I really have to face the fact that I am still
    a beginner with IIS. I had a class in IIS several years
    ago (IIS4). But I learn the most by fooling around with
    it.

    Thanks for the reply,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Ed

    joker Guest

    Well a system reboot would stop the service at shutdown & restart it
    after the system starts coming up. I'm not sure at his point.

    joker, Aug 4, 2004