Why is initial tag library request slow?

Marcus Leon

Hi, my first request to a JSP page using a tag library (Display Tag
Library) takes about 10-15 seconds and subsequent requests are fast.
Does anyone know why the first request is slow?

I don't believe the slowness is jsp compiling as we precompile and it
seems that it is working. We're on Weblogic 8.1. My CPU is revving
at 100% during this start up period.

Is the container just loading the classes or is there some init routine
running? How can I debug this?

Thanks very much for the help!

Roedy Green

Is the container just loading the classes or is there some init routine
running? How can I debug this?

If you have a java.exe command line you can get hold of, use the
-verbose option. You can then monitor classes loading.

Marcus Leon

Thanks Roedy! I do see that on the first (and only) request the JVM is
load these classes at system start up?

The classes are mostly common classes (Jakarta Commons, log4j, etc) and
the tag library I am using (Display Tag Library).

Marcus.

Roedy Green

Thanks Roedy! I do see that on the first (and only) request the JVM is
load these classes at system start up?
there may be a special BEA command to do it, but if you ran a custom
servlet at startup that simply looked at the serialVersionUID of the
classes of interest or called some trivial static method, that would
load the classes.