Why is it desirable for a C++ programmer to know a scripting lang?

grishin-mailing-lists

Hi there,

I've looked through dozens of job-offering sites and noticed that most
of C++ positions have a clause "one scripting lang (Perl/Python/sh)".
C++ is an extremely flexible language and this requirement silently
confirms that some tasks are better performed by other langs.
So my question is:
Which tasks? (real-life examples are appreciated).

Ian Collins

Hi there,

I've looked through dozens of job-offering sites and noticed that most
of C++ positions have a clause "one scripting lang (Perl/Python/sh)".
C++ is an extremely flexible language and this requirement silently
confirms that some tasks are better performed by other langs.

No, it just shows they are looking for well rounded developers.
So my question is:
Which tasks? (real-life examples are appreciated).

In my case, usually something quick and dirty requiring string
manipulation, or web applications.

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed), on 24.05.2010 11:58:
Hi there,

I've looked through dozens of job-offering sites and noticed that most
of C++ positions have a clause "one scripting lang (Perl/Python/sh)".

This may to just pre-screen away those who think they are C++ programmers but
are not. C++ is a hideously complex language. Anyone who really is a C++
programmer (not novice) has experience with quite a number of other languages.

C++ is an extremely flexible language and this requirement silently
confirms that some tasks are better performed by other langs.
So my question is:
Which tasks? (real-life examples are appreciated).

Ian Collins has already given some examples else-thread. I'd like to add use of
functionality that's designed for scripting, as a general category. For example,
web page document object model, Microsoft's OLE Automation and to some extent
..NET, other kinds of application automation (including an installation script
for a C++ application!), etc. etc. And not to forget, your command interpreter,
which is a scripting environment: all your commands are script language
commands, so you're scripting away at it...

Scripting is also great for just adding a simple GUI on top of existing
functionality.

And outside of the normal work flow you may also have fun scripting silly
animations for your favorite media player. :)

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Brian

Hi there,

I've looked through dozens of job-offering sites and noticed that most
of C++ positions have a clause "one scripting lang (Perl/Python/sh)".
C++ is an extremely flexible language and this requirement silently
confirms that some tasks are better performed by other langs.
So my question is:
Which tasks? (real-life examples are appreciated).

Companies sometimes run into situations where they need a fix
for a customer. They may resort to a scripting language at
that point. If the company is well-managed, they'll ditch
the script as quickly as they created it. Another question
is what scripting language to learn. I prefer Python over
PERL. I wouldn't bother learning more than one scripting
language unless it's because you're convinced that a new
scripting language is better than the one you know.

Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net
(651) 251-9384

Jorgen Grahn

Langs==languages? It's generally a bad idea to trust the people who
write job ads, but in this case I think they are right.
Companies sometimes run into situations where they need a fix
for a customer. They may resort to a scripting language at
that point. If the company is well-managed, they'll ditch
the script as quickly as they created it.

That's too negative. There are plenty of cases where doing task FOO in
C++ would be a stupid waste of time and money. "Scripting languages"
are not just for throwaway kludges.

Of course I also believe there are plenty of cases where task FOO is
better done in C++. Just to name one obvious reason: static typing is
something I really believe is needed in medium- or large-sized
project, and the popular "scripting" languages simply don't offer
that.
Another question
is what scripting language to learn. I prefer Python over
PERL.

Another lang nitpick: it's "Perl". "PERL" makes Perl people like me
cringe.
I wouldn't bother learning more than one scripting
language unless it's because you're convinced that a new
scripting language is better than the one you know.

Depends on how much he will eventually use it, I suppose ... I
regularly use Perl, Python and bash, and while they have some overlap,
they have their different uses. I wouldn't want to part with any of
them (although I use only a small subset of Perl, I use it a /lot/).

/Jorgen