    I know i'm vague but does anyone have any tips for writing applets that work
    x-platform and a stable version of Java to use?

    Thanks
    Dave Best, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Dave Best

    Jacob Guest

    Dave Best wrote:
    > Myself and a friend have been toying around with writing a web based game
    > but its getting very frustrating. Why is Java so inconsistent? We picked
    > it because of its x-platform capability but all i've gotten is head aches.
    > What works on one browser with a specific JRE doesn't on another, or another
    > OS. I just upgraded my version of Jdeveloper and now the code doesn't
    > function the same as before.
    >
    > I know i'm vague but does anyone have any tips for writing applets that work
    > x-platform and a stable version of Java to use?

    Have you looked at Java Web Start?
    Jacob, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Dave Best schrieb:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Myself and a friend have been toying around with writing a web based game
    > but its getting very frustrating. Why is Java so inconsistent? We picked
    > it because of its x-platform capability but all i've gotten is head aches.
    > What works on one browser with a specific JRE doesn't on another, or another
    > OS. I just upgraded my version of Jdeveloper and now the code doesn't
    > function the same as before.
    >
    > I know i'm vague but does anyone have any tips for writing applets that work
    > x-platform and a stable version of Java to use?
    >
    > Thanks

    Without specific examples it's hard to tell why you see this. But bear
    in mind that JDK 1.1.x (which is the one used by default by IE) is
    extremely different in some terms to 1.3 or 1.4.

    So when switching JDK versions there is always some "inconsistency" due
    to the new features. If you stick to one version (e.g. 1.3 or 1.4, I
    wouldn't choose any other, actually I haven't used 1.3 for nearly a year
    now) then things should work smoothly.

    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Dave Best

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:18:24 -0400, "Dave Best"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I know i'm vague but does anyone have any tips for writing applets that work
    >x-platform and a stable version of Java to use?

    You save most of those headaches if you insist your clients use the
    Java plug-in. The big problems come from old IE and Netscape Java
    implementations where the vendors were trying hard lock developers
    into their platform with quirks.

    Java Web Start gets rid of even more of those headaches.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html

    I talked my boss/client into it for a project we are working on, a
    multifeed security camera viewer. He was very reluctant to use a
    technology he did not understand. I sent him a bat file and some
    links in the Java glossary. He phoned me triumphant that he too was
    able to jar and sign the application and that it was far simpler than
    he ever imagined.

    Now he is jittering at me to use some of the more sophisticated JWS
    features.

    I think he was worried about how it would look to use a phony
    certificate, and how clumsy that would be for the user. He was happy
    to discover that JWS does not pester the user about the certificate
    over and over. It just imports it (not quite sure just where yet), on
    the first try.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Dave Best

    Enrique Guest

    Jacob <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Have you looked at Java Web Start?

    I second this. To hell with applets. Write a Swing app and distribute it with JWS.

    Why folks are still stuck on applets is beyond me.
    Enrique, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Dave Best

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Enrique <> wrote:
    : Jacob <> wrote in message news:<>...

    :> Have you looked at Java Web Start?

    : I second this. To hell with applets. Write a Swing app and distribute
    : it with JWS.

    : Why folks are still stuck on applets is beyond me.

    It probably has something to do with trying to get people to use their
    app without incurring a huge download.

    What is the level of JWS installations - relative to those who can
    run applets - 10% or so? Less?
    --
    __________
    Tim Tyler, Jul 2, 2003
  7. Dave Best

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:

    > Enrique <> wrote:
    > : Jacob <> wrote in message
    > : news:<>...
    >
    > :> Have you looked at Java Web Start?
    >
    > : I second this. To hell with applets. Write a Swing app and distribute
    > : it with JWS.
    >
    > : Why folks are still stuck on applets is beyond me.
    >
    > It probably has something to do with trying to get people to use their
    > app without incurring a huge download.
    >
    > What is the level of JWS installations - relative to those who can
    > run applets - 10% or so? Less?

    What's the number of platforms it's supported on relative to applets?

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
    Nigel Wade, Jul 3, 2003