    under a second.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Roedy Green

    Alex Buell Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:10:59 GMT Roedy Green
    <> waved a wand and this
    message magically appeared:

    > What on earth is Java Web Start doing that takes it so long to find
    > out if there is a new version? See what I mean try
    > http://mindprod.com/webstarts/setclock.html
    >
    > This is a trivial little app. I don't think the problem is my
    > website. When I fetch the JNLP file with MimeCheck, it arrives in
    > under a second.

    It's not your website, it's because javaws has to load the VM. I've
    never used MimeCheck, but presumably MimeCheck has the VM already
    loaded before executing the applet.

    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Anyone that thinks an imaginary deity is going to protect them against
    earthquakes and hurricanes needs psychiatric help.
    Alex Buell, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Roedy Green

    Danno Guest

    Works quick for me.
    Danno, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 9 Jan 2006 12:29:05 -0800, "Danno" <>

    >Works quick for me.

    it is taking 80 seconds for me to check the new version, even on a
    retry.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 9 Jan 2006 12:29:05 -0800, "Danno" <>

    >Works quick for me.

    does for me now too. I found the trick was to go into javaws.exe and
    set network settings to direct rather than "use browser settings".
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Roedy Green

    Danno Guest

    Wow. interesting.
    I have a web app that I created for the Fed Gov't here in the states,
    and that is great to know. I will let the support group for that app
    know. ;)

    Thanks
    Danno, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:30:14 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >does for me now too. I found the trick was to go into javaws.exe and
    >set network settings to direct rather than "use browser settings".

    the problem it turns out is the Google Accelerator that kicks in a
    proxy on its own. JAWS should not be using it since it is designed
    only for IE and FireFox.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Roedy Green wrote:
    > What on earth is Java Web Start doing that takes it so long to find
    > out if there is a new version? See what I mean try
    > http://mindprod.com/webstarts/setclock.html
    >
    > This is a trivial little app. I don't think the problem is my
    > website. When I fetch the JNLP file with MimeCheck, it arrives in
    > under a second.

    Roedy,

    I get the basic "I don't know what to do with this filetype
    (setclock.jnlp)" when I click on your link in the page. I am running
    FireFox 1.0.7 (Fedora Core 4) on linux with JRE 1.5.0_03. I have no
    problems with traditional applets.

    Your page tells me that "Your browser appears to be already configured
    properly for Java Web Start."

    Mostly I'm just letting you know because you seem to have a fair amount
    of detail to help people get the thing running and I managed to hit a
    configuration you don't have covered.

    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Jan 10, 2006
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:50:14 GMT, Raymond DeCampo
    said :

    >I get the basic "I don't know what to do with this filetype
    >(setclock.jnlp)" when I click on your link in the page. I am running
    >FireFox 1.0.7 (Fedora Core 4) on linux with JRE 1.5.0_03. I have no
    >problems with traditional applets.
    >
    >Your page tells me that "Your browser appears to be already configured
    >properly for Java Web Start."

    Sounds like your association between *.jnlp and javaws.exe is screwed
    up or pointing to an obsolete version of javaws.exe.

    Check that the associations for the *.jnlp extension is set to point
    to the appropriate javaws.exe and *.jar is set to point to javaw.exe.
    Confirm this in any My Computer directory display with tools | folder
    options | file types.

    While you are at it, follow the instructions at
    http://mindprod.com/jdk.html#TESTING to polish the install of your
    JDK/JRE. What is with Sun they make people do this manually as if
    everyone were a Java programmer.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 10, 2006
  10. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:50:14 GMT, Raymond DeCampo
    > said :
    >

    >>I get the basic "I don't know what to do with this filetype
    >>(setclock.jnlp)" when I click on your link in the page. I am running
    >>FireFox 1.0.7 (Fedora Core 4) on linux with JRE 1.5.0_03. I have no
    >>problems with traditional applets.
    >>
    >>Your page tells me that "Your browser appears to be already configured
    >>properly for Java Web Start."

    > Sounds like your association between *.jnlp and javaws.exe is screwed
    > up or pointing to an obsolete version of javaws.exe.
    >
    > Check that the associations for the *.jnlp extension is set to point
    > to the appropriate javaws.exe and *.jar is set to point to javaw.exe.
    > Confirm this in any My Computer directory display with tools | folder
    > options | file types.
    >
    > While you are at it, follow the instructions at
    > http://mindprod.com/jdk.html#TESTING to polish the install of your
    > JDK/JRE. What is with Sun they make people do this manually as if
    > everyone were a Java programmer.

    Your instructions (both here and on the web page) are very
    Windows-centric. I am having this issue on a linux box.

    I don't really care if we resolve the issue for my sake. If you are not
    interested in cataloging issues involving non-Windows OSes then we can
    simply drop it.

    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Jan 10, 2006