Why is JAWS so slow so start

Roedy Green

What on earth is Java Web Start doing that takes it so long to find
out if there is a new version? See what I mean try
http://mindprod.com/webstarts/setclock.html

This is a trivial little app. I don't think the problem is my
website. When I fetch the JNLP file with MimeCheck, it arrives in
under a second.

Alex Buell

What on earth is Java Web Start doing that takes it so long to find
out if there is a new version? See what I mean try
http://mindprod.com/webstarts/setclock.html

This is a trivial little app. I don't think the problem is my
website. When I fetch the JNLP file with MimeCheck, it arrives in
under a second.

It's not your website, it's because javaws has to load the VM. I've
never used MimeCheck, but presumably MimeCheck has the VM already
loaded before executing the applet.

Roedy Green

Works quick for me.

does for me now too. I found the trick was to go into javaws.exe and
set network settings to direct rather than "use browser settings".

Danno

Wow. interesting.
I have a web app that I created for the Fed Gov't here in the states,
and that is great to know. I will let the support group for that app
know. ;)

Thanks

Roedy Green

does for me now too. I found the trick was to go into javaws.exe and
set network settings to direct rather than "use browser settings".

the problem it turns out is the Google Accelerator that kicks in a
proxy on its own. JAWS should not be using it since it is designed
only for IE and FireFox.

Raymond DeCampo

Roedy said:
What on earth is Java Web Start doing that takes it so long to find
out if there is a new version? See what I mean try
http://mindprod.com/webstarts/setclock.html

This is a trivial little app. I don't think the problem is my
website. When I fetch the JNLP file with MimeCheck, it arrives in
under a second.

Roedy,

I get the basic "I don't know what to do with this filetype
(setclock.jnlp)" when I click on your link in the page. I am running
FireFox 1.0.7 (Fedora Core 4) on linux with JRE 1.5.0_03. I have no
problems with traditional applets.

Your page tells me that "Your browser appears to be already configured
properly for Java Web Start."

Mostly I'm just letting you know because you seem to have a fair amount
of detail to help people get the thing running and I managed to hit a
configuration you don't have covered.

Ray

Roedy Green

I get the basic "I don't know what to do with this filetype
(setclock.jnlp)" when I click on your link in the page. I am running
FireFox 1.0.7 (Fedora Core 4) on linux with JRE 1.5.0_03. I have no
problems with traditional applets.

Your page tells me that "Your browser appears to be already configured
properly for Java Web Start."

Sounds like your association between *.jnlp and javaws.exe is screwed
up or pointing to an obsolete version of javaws.exe.

Check that the associations for the *.jnlp extension is set to point
to the appropriate javaws.exe and *.jar is set to point to javaw.exe.
Confirm this in any My Computer directory display with tools | folder
options | file types.

While you are at it, follow the instructions at
http://mindprod.com/jdk.html#TESTING to polish the install of your
JDK/JRE. What is with Sun they make people do this manually as if
everyone were a Java programmer.

Raymond DeCampo

Roedy said:
Sounds like your association between *.jnlp and javaws.exe is screwed
up or pointing to an obsolete version of javaws.exe.

Check that the associations for the *.jnlp extension is set to point
to the appropriate javaws.exe and *.jar is set to point to javaw.exe.
Confirm this in any My Computer directory display with tools | folder
options | file types.

While you are at it, follow the instructions at
http://mindprod.com/jdk.html#TESTING to polish the install of your
JDK/JRE. What is with Sun they make people do this manually as if
everyone were a Java programmer.

Your instructions (both here and on the web page) are very
Windows-centric. I am having this issue on a linux box.

I don't really care if we resolve the issue for my sake. If you are not
interested in cataloging issues involving non-Windows OSes then we can
simply drop it.

Ray