Why is my web site so slow?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mystery, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Mystery

    Mystery Guest

    I have a standard install IIS server running with Windows Authentication on
    our Small Business Server at work (1024/512 ADSL). I'm running a small asp
    web site that generates pages from our sales database of around 1k per page
    (no graphix, just text). I'm using a PDA (HP iPAQ) and a Bluetooth
    connection to my GPRS phone to connect to the web (connections between
    13-24k).

    My initial connect to my index.asp page takes up to 15secs! Subsequent
    pages take between 5-10secs to load, even though they are only 1k (or
    less!). As a comparison, forum.overclockers.co.uk (a favourite site of
    mine!) main index page (without graphicx) only takes 4 secs to load and is a
    page size of almost 8k.

    So :-

    1. Is there some tweaks that I can do to IIS in order for it to respond
    quicker (512K upstream connection with zero people on it makes me think
    bandwith is not the problem!)
    2. Is Windows Authentication creating too much overhead? Should I code my
    own logon screens and page check code?

    Advice appreciated.
    Mystery, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Mystery

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    You should put a trace on the network (or, do some investigation of various
    counters/logfiles, eg timestamps in the IIS logs, run perfmon on the server)
    to find out where the bottleneck is.

    a) Is the server needing to spin up IIS (maybe no one else has hit the
    webserver for a while)
    b) Is it a bandwidth issue somewhere between the iPaq and the server?
    c) Is your code inefficient?
    d) Perhaps it is the iPaq - I know that most pages that would load quite
    quickly on a decent desktop machine take much longer to load on my iPaq due
    to the reduced computing power available in the iPaq

    Cheers
    Ken

    :
    : My initial connect to my index.asp page takes up to 15secs! Subsequent
    : pages take between 5-10secs to load, even though they are only 1k (or
    : less!). As a comparison, forum.overclockers.co.uk (a favourite site of
    : mine!) main index page (without graphicx) only takes 4 secs to load and is
    : page size of almost 8k.
    :
    : So :-
    :
    Ken Schaefer, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Mystery

    Mystery Guest

    Thanks to all for the suggestions. After looking at a number of avenues,
    the biggest improvement in speed actually came from switching off windows
    user authentication! I'll write my own user authentication system using ASP
    so everything should be okay.

    Thanks again guys. Thank the Lord for newsgroups !!!! :)

    Mr.E

    Mystery, Dec 18, 2003