    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    Thanks

    Ian Roberts, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Ian Roberts <> spoke thus:

    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    > approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    This isn't a C++ question, although people will probably deign to
    answer it anyway. If you don't get the answers you want here, try
    comp.object or maybe comp.software-eng. HTH.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Ian Roberts

    Fazi Guest

    U¿ytkownik "Ian Roberts" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    > approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    Maybe because OO gives us better and more comfortable control of our
    (especially big) programs/projects....

    --
    Fazi
    GG: 2105817

    Fazi, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Ian Roberts

    Mike Smith Guest

    Fazi wrote:

    > U¿ytkownik "Ian Roberts" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    >

    >>Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    >>approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    > Maybe because OO gives us better and more comfortable control of our
    > (especially big) programs/projects....

    Well, we *think* it does, anyway. ;-)

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Ian Roberts

    Phlip Guest

    > >>Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    > >>approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    > > Maybe because OO gives us better and more comfortable control of our
    > > (especially big) programs/projects....

    > Well, we *think* it does, anyway. ;-)

    Distinguish an OO language from an OO program.

    The former comes with the latest gadgets & editors, because OO is popular,
    so they are popular.

    But the latter makes adding new features easier. So a program may grow large
    without growing unweildy.

    As one grows a program, if one refactors to merge duplication of behavior,
    the design has less chance of getting unnecessarily complex. In a structural
    program, one can merge common low-level behavior into functions. But in an
    OO program, one also merges the high-level, calling code into common
    abstractions. Virtual functions now permit the same high-level function to
    call any of a set of lower-level functions.

    To add a feature one can often add new lower-level functions, but leave
    their calling functions the same. Structural programs can't do that.

    Read /Design Patterns/ to learn the common targets of refactoring.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Ian Roberts

    Fazi Guest

    U¿ytkownik "Mike Smith" <> napisa³ w
    wiadomo¶ci news:...

    > >>Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why object oriented
    > >>approaches to programming are becoming very popular.

    > > Maybe because OO gives us better and more comfortable control of our
    > > (especially big) programs/projects....

    > Well, we think it does, anyway. ;-)

    I would told more of my thinkings If I had speak English better ;) As you
    see, I'm Polish :p

    --
    Fazi
    GG: 2105817