Why is Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 more recent than Ruby 1.8.6 Final?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jian Lin, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. Jian Lin

    Jian Lin Guest

    Getting to the Ruby One-click installer for Windows, we may go to

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

    and then

    http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html

    however over there, it seems that

    Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 (patchlevel 383)

    is actually more recent than

    Ruby 1.8.6 RC2 (patchlevel 27)

    or

    Ruby 1.8.6 Final (patchlevel 26)

    If I install them on different machines, the RC1 actually shows a more
    recent date than RC2 or Final, by using

    ruby -v

    What's the rule? Does it go strictly by patchlevel? That is, the
    patchlevel decides how update it is, instead of whether it is RC1, RC2,
    or Final?

    Jian Lin, Dec 9, 2009

  2. Jian Lin

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Dec 9, 5:24 pm, Jian Lin <> wrote:
    > Getting to the Ruby One-click installer for Windows, we may go to
    >
    >    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/
    >
    > and then
    >
    >    http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html
    >
    > however over there, it seems that
    >
    >     Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 (patchlevel 383)
    >
    > is actually more recent than
    >
    >     Ruby 1.8.6 RC2 (patchlevel 27)
    >
    > or
    >
    >     Ruby 1.8.6 Final (patchlevel 26)
    >
    > If I install them on different machines, the RC1 actually shows a more
    > recent date than RC2 or Final, by using
    >
    > ruby -v
    >
    > What's the rule? Does it go strictly by patchlevel? That is, the
    > patchlevel decides how update it is, instead of whether it is RC1, RC2,
    > or Final?

    Here you're talking about a set of Installers, not Ruby itself.

    I've answered your question over Stackoverflow:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-recent-than-ruby-1-8-6-final/1877105#1877105

    Which I'm going to copy here for the sake of help others find the
    information in the future:

    "Hello,

    Ruby-Lang website advertise a package of Ruby for Windows called One-
    Click Installer.

    That installer used to have their own version schema, as you note with
    `186-26` or `186-27 RC2`

    On RubyForge website (news section) you will find that efforts of the
    project as moved towards newer RubyInstaller packages, and is
    indicated there and the RubyInstaller download page that `186-27 RC2`
    is part of the legacy versions.

    Latest RubyInstaller (currently in Release Candidate attempts) provide
    information of the correct Ruby version that includes and install, as
    indicated by the version string `1.8.6-p383` which is patchlevel 383
    of Ruby.

    Please note that you're comparing different type of packages. One-
    Click Installer versus RubyInstaller.

    You can read more about this in the [wiki][1] and the latest
    announcement [at RubyForge][2]

    Hope this answer your questions.

    [1]: http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller
    [2]: http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=35591"