Why is Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 more recent than Ruby 1.8.6 Final?

Jian Lin

Getting to the Ruby One-click installer for Windows, we may go to

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

and then

http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html

however over there, it seems that

Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 (patchlevel 383)

is actually more recent than

Ruby 1.8.6 RC2 (patchlevel 27)

or

Ruby 1.8.6 Final (patchlevel 26)

If I install them on different machines, the RC1 actually shows a more
recent date than RC2 or Final, by using

ruby -v

What's the rule? Does it go strictly by patchlevel? That is, the
patchlevel decides how update it is, instead of whether it is RC1, RC2,
or Final?

Luis Lavena

Getting to the Ruby One-click installer for Windows, we may go to

   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

and then

   http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html

however over there, it seems that

    Ruby 1.8.6 RC1 (patchlevel 383)

is actually more recent than

    Ruby 1.8.6 RC2 (patchlevel 27)

or

    Ruby 1.8.6 Final (patchlevel 26)

If I install them on different machines, the RC1 actually shows a more
recent date than RC2 or Final, by using

ruby -v

What's the rule? Does it go strictly by patchlevel? That is, the
patchlevel decides how update it is, instead of whether it is RC1, RC2,
or Final?

Here you're talking about a set of Installers, not Ruby itself.

I've answered your question over Stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-recent-than-ruby-1-8-6-final/1877105#1877105

Which I'm going to copy here for the sake of help others find the
information in the future:

"Hello,

Ruby-Lang website advertise a package of Ruby for Windows called One-
Click Installer.

That installer used to have their own version schema, as you note with
`186-26` or `186-27 RC2`

On RubyForge website (news section) you will find that efforts of the
project as moved towards newer RubyInstaller packages, and is
indicated there and the RubyInstaller download page that `186-27 RC2`
is part of the legacy versions.

Latest RubyInstaller (currently in Release Candidate attempts) provide
information of the correct Ruby version that includes and install, as
indicated by the version string `1.8.6-p383` which is patchlevel 383
of Ruby.

Please note that you're comparing different type of packages. One-
Click Installer versus RubyInstaller.

You can read more about this in the [wiki][1] and the latest
announcement [at RubyForge][2]

Hope this answer your questions.

[1]: http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller
[2]: http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=35591"