Why is this Happening?

Prof. Marvel

Hello,

Can't figure out why my background gift keeps repeating unless it's because
the dimensions are wrong (16 x 888). But the problem with changing this is
that it changes the red part of the gif I use as a header. Makes it too
thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's supposed to be across all my
pages while eliminating the way it repeats at the bottom of the page?

gl

rf

Prof. Marvel said:
Hello,

Can't figure out why my background gift keeps repeating unless it's because
the dimensions are wrong (16 x 888). But the problem with changing this is
that it changes the red part of the gif I use as a header. Makes it too
thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's supposed to be across all my
pages while eliminating the way it repeats at the bottom of the page?

What background? Where?

A URL would have been a good idea...

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Wipkip said:
Good grief man, what's wrong wsith your crystal ball? :D

It's in at Diagon Alley for repair. My pet roo went berzerk and jumped on
it. It's the mating season, you know...

Cheers
Richard.

Steve Pugh

Prof. Marvel said:

Background's repeat. It's what they do.

The solution is to use CSS to set your background, not HTML.

body {
background-image: url(images/backg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
background-color: #FFFFCC;
color: #666600;
}

Of course for a solid colour like that I wouldn't use an image at all.
I'd just set a red backgound-color on a div at the top of the page.

But, you've clearly got a lot of work to do anyway:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...automatically)&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional

Steve

john doe

"Prof. Marvel" said:
Sorry, fellows. Here's the url:

www.nmrfh.com

M.

Create a style definition for the body then put all the information in it
instead of the body tag itself.
body{ information }
No dot required.
Then include background-repeat:no-repeat;

link="#660000" vlink="#003333" alink="#660000" marginwidth="1"
marginheight="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" onLoad="MM_preloadImages
('images/diningon.gif','images/eventson.gif','images/cateron.gif','images
/roomson.gif')">

That's what you show now.

body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
background:url("images/backg.gif");
background-repeat:no-repeat;
text:#666600;
link:#660000'
vlink:#003333;
alink:#660000;
margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; } note: this applies a 1 pixel margin
on all sides rather than using left, top, bottom, right.

I would not put anything other than true style attributes in the body.
Preloading of images should be done outside of the body tag.

If something doesn't seem to work right, it's time you learned how to
correct it.

informant

john doe said:
Create a style definition for the body then put all the information in it
instead of the body tag itself.
body{ information }
No dot required.
Then include background-repeat:no-repeat;

Wow, this advice looks familiar.
[...]

This sockpuppet doesn't seem to be working right, Bullis. It has k00k prints
all over it, AGAIN.

From: john doe <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: Re: Why is this Happening?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:59:05 -0600

Toby A Inkster

john said:
body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
background:url("images/backg.gif");
background-repeat:no-repeat;
text:#666600;
link:#660000'
vlink:#003333;
alink:#660000;
margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; }

Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

body {
background: #FFC url("images/backg.gif") no-repeat scroll top left;
color: #660;
margin: 1px;
}
a:link {
background-color: inherit;
color: #600;
}
a:visited {
background-color: inherit;
color: #033;

informant

Toby A Inkster said:
Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

It's hard to believe Bullis expects to give out bad advice and not be
corrected, no matter what nic he's posting under. Thanks.

Richard

informant wrote:

It's hard to believe Bullis expects to give out bad advice and not be
corrected, no matter what nic he's posting under. Thanks.

You don't give a shit who you stomp on do you?
Show the proof I posted it, asshole.

informant

Richard said:
informant wrote:

You don't give a shit who you stomp on do you?
Show the proof I posted it, asshole.

Pipe down, Sybil. You're only digging yourself in deeper, as usual.

From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:02:58 -0600