    thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's supposed to be across all my
    pages while eliminating the way it repeats at the bottom of the page?

    gl

    Prof. Marvel, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Prof. Marvel

    rf Guest

    "Prof. Marvel" <reporter@(removethis)fuse.net> wrote in message
    news:3fa76bad$0$60784$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can't figure out why my background gift keeps repeating unless it's

    because
    > the dimensions are wrong (16 x 888). But the problem with changing this

    is
    > that it changes the red part of the gif I use as a header. Makes it too
    > thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's supposed to be across all

    my
    > pages while eliminating the way it repeats at the bottom of the page?

    What background? Where?

    A URL would have been a good idea...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Prof. Marvel

    Wipkip Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "Prof. Marvel" <reporter@(removethis)fuse.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Can't figure out why my background gift keeps repeating unless it's
    >> because the dimensions are wrong (16 x 888). But the problem with
    >> changing this is that it changes the red part of the gif I use as a
    >> header. Makes it too thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's
    >> supposed to be across all my pages while eliminating the way it
    >> repeats at the bottom of the page?

    > What background? Where?
    >
    > A URL would have been a good idea...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Good grief man, what's wrong wsith your crystal ball? :D

    --
    Duende

    Wipkip, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Prof. Marvel

    rf Guest

    "Wipkip" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    > > "Prof. Marvel" <reporter@(removethis)fuse.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Can't figure out why my background gift keeps repeating unless it's
    > >> because the dimensions are wrong (16 x 888). But the problem with
    > >> changing this is that it changes the red part of the gif I use as a
    > >> header. Makes it too thick. How do I keep the red part the size it's
    > >> supposed to be across all my pages while eliminating the way it
    > >> repeats at the bottom of the page?

    > > What background? Where?
    > >
    > > A URL would have been a good idea...
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Richard.

    > Good grief man, what's wrong wsith your crystal ball? :D

    It's in at Diagon Alley for repair. My pet roo went berzerk and jumped on
    it. It's the mating season, you know...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Prof. Marvel

    Prof. Marvel Guest

    Sorry, fellows. Here's the url:

    www.nmrfh.com

    M.

    Prof. Marvel, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Prof. Marvel

    Steve Pugh Guest

    >www.nmrfh.com

    Background's repeat. It's what they do.

    The solution is to use CSS to set your background, not HTML.

    body {
    background-image: url(images/backg.gif);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-color: #FFFFCC;
    color: #666600;
    }

    Of course for a solid colour like that I wouldn't use an image at all.
    I'd just set a red backgound-color on a div at the top of the page.

    But, you've clearly got a lot of work to do anyway:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...automatically)&doctype=HTML 4.01 Transitional

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Prof. Marvel

    john doe Guest

    In article <3fa7c209$0$60171$>, "Prof. Marvel"
    <reporter@(removethis)fuse.net> says...
    > Sorry, fellows. Here's the url:
    >
    > www.nmrfh.com
    >
    > M.
    >
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Wipkip" <> wrote in message

    > > > Good grief man, what's wrong wsith your crystal ball? :D

    > > It's in at Diagon Alley for repair. My pet roo went berzerk and jumped on
    > > it. It's the mating season, you know...
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Richard.

    Create a style definition for the body then put all the information in it
    instead of the body tag itself.
    body{ information }
    No dot required.
    Then include background-repeat:no-repeat;

    link="#660000" vlink="#003333" alink="#660000" marginwidth="1"
    marginheight="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" onLoad="MM_preloadImages
    ('images/diningon.gif','images/eventson.gif','images/cateron.gif','images
    /roomson.gif')">

    That's what you show now.

    body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
    background:url("images/backg.gif");
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    text:#666600;
    link:#660000'
    vlink:#003333;
    alink:#660000;
    margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; } note: this applies a 1 pixel margin
    on all sides rather than using left, top, bottom, right.

    I would not put anything other than true style attributes in the body.
    Preloading of images should be done outside of the body tag.

    If something doesn't seem to work right, it's time you learned how to
    correct it.

    john doe, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Prof. Marvel

    informant Guest

    "john doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fa7c209$0$60171$>, "Prof. Marvel"
    > <reporter@(removethis)fuse.net> says...
    > > Sorry, fellows. Here's the url:
    > >
    > > www.nmrfh.com
    > >
    > > M.
    > >
    > > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Wipkip" <> wrote in message

    it's

    with

    it's

    > > > It's in at Diagon Alley for repair. My pet roo went berzerk and jumped

    on
    > > > it. It's the mating season, you know...
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Richard.
    > > >

    > Create a style definition for the body then put all the information in it
    > instead of the body tag itself.
    > body{ information }
    > No dot required.
    > Then include background-repeat:no-repeat;

    Wow, this advice looks familiar.

    > link="#660000" vlink="#003333" alink="#660000" marginwidth="1"
    > marginheight="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" onLoad="MM_preloadImages
    > ('images/diningon.gif','images/eventson.gif','images/cateron.gif','images
    > /roomson.gif')">
    >
    > That's what you show now.
    >
    > body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
    > background:url("images/backg.gif");
    > background-repeat:no-repeat;
    > text:#666600;
    > link:#660000'
    > vlink:#003333;
    > alink:#660000;
    > margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; } note: this applies a 1 pixel margin
    > on all sides rather than using left, top, bottom, right.
    >

    > I would not put anything other than true style attributes in the body.
    > Preloading of images should be done outside of the body tag.
    >
    > If something doesn't seem to work right, it's time you learned how to
    > correct it.

    This sockpuppet doesn't seem to be working right, Bullis. It has k00k prints
    all over it, AGAIN.

    From: john doe <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    Subject: Re: Why is this Happening?
    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:59:05 -0600

    informant, Nov 4, 2003
  9. john doe wrote:

    > body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
    > background:url("images/backg.gif");
    > background-repeat:no-repeat;
    > text:#666600;
    > link:#660000'
    > vlink:#003333;
    > alink:#660000;
    > margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; }

    Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

    body {
    background: #FFC url("images/backg.gif") no-repeat scroll top left;
    color: #660;
    margin: 1px;
    }
    a:link {
    background-color: inherit;
    color: #600;
    }
    a:visited {
    background-color: inherit;
    color: #033;

    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 4, 2003
  10. Prof. Marvel

    informant Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > john doe wrote:
    >
    > > body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
    > > background:url("images/backg.gif");
    > > background-repeat:no-repeat;
    > > text:#666600;
    > > link:#660000'
    > > vlink:#003333;
    > > alink:#660000;
    > > margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; }

    > Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

    It's hard to believe Bullis expects to give out bad advice and not be
    corrected, no matter what nic he's posting under. Thanks.

    informant, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Prof. Marvel

    Richard Guest

    informant wrote:

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    >> john doe wrote:

    >> > body{ background-color:#FFFFCC;
    >> > background:url("images/backg.gif");
    >> > background-repeat:no-repeat;
    >> > text:#666600;
    >> > link:#660000'
    >> > vlink:#003333;
    >> > alink:#660000;
    >> > margin:1px 1px 1px 1px; }

    >> Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

    > It's hard to believe Bullis expects to give out bad advice and not be
    > corrected, no matter what nic he's posting under. Thanks.

    You don't give a shit who you stomp on do you?
    Show the proof I posted it, asshole.

    Richard, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Prof. Marvel

    informant Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > informant wrote:
    >

    > > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message

    > >> Or, if you'd actually like it to *work*:

    > > It's hard to believe Bullis expects to give out bad advice and not be
    > > corrected, no matter what nic he's posting under. Thanks.

    > You don't give a shit who you stomp on do you?
    > Show the proof I posted it, asshole.

    Pipe down, Sybil. You're only digging yourself in deeper, as usual.

    From: "Richard" <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:02:58 -0600

    informant, Nov 4, 2003