Why is this url unclickable?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Feb 8, 2010.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi

    asp.net 3.5

    When user signup to my website he gets an email containing a url he needs to
    click on so he can verify his identiy. Now I got some problem with this url,
    I'm changing it a bit which resulted in url not being clickable
    (I changed it because before I sent the username as a parameter, that is not
    very good in terms of security)

    This url is unclickable
    Confirm.aspx?user=S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d

    but Confirm.aspx?user=crapbook
    is clickable

    In addition I used Server.UrlEncode on the "S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d"
    value, maybe I should have used on the enture url?

    what you suggest?
    Jeff, Feb 8, 2010

  2. On Feb 8, 12:13 pm, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > When user signup to my website he gets an email containing a url he needs to
    > click on so he can verify his identiy. Now I got some problem with this url,
    > I'm changing it a bit which resulted in url not being clickable
    > (I changed it because before I sent the username as a parameter, that is not
    > very good in terms of security)
    >
    > This url is unclickable
    > Confirm.aspx?user=S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d
    >
    > but Confirm.aspx?user=crapbook
    > is clickable
    >
    > In addition I used Server.UrlEncode on the "S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d"
    > value, maybe I should have used on the enture url?
    >
    > what you suggest?

    It's a problem with your email client, I believe. If I paste this url
    in Gmail, I see no problem to send such message and click on the link
    once received.
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Jeff

    Jason Keats Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > When user signup to my website he gets an email containing a url he needs to
    > click on so he can verify his identiy. Now I got some problem with this url,
    > I'm changing it a bit which resulted in url not being clickable
    > (I changed it because before I sent the username as a parameter, that is not
    > very good in terms of security)
    >
    > This url is unclickable
    > Confirm.aspx?user=S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d
    >
    > but Confirm.aspx?user=crapbook
    > is clickable
    >
    > In addition I used Server.UrlEncode on the "S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d"
    > value, maybe I should have used on the enture url?
    >
    > what you suggest?

    Using % is unsafe.

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

    I'd use a GUID.
    Jason Keats, Feb 8, 2010
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    the email client I use is Opera. I was testing using hotmail and used Opera
    to view the emails

    Considering using GUID instead, I mean use userproviderkey:
    link += "?user=" + Server.UrlEncode(user.ProviderUserKey.ToString());

    Jeff, Feb 8, 2010
  5. On 8 Feb., 15:47, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > the email client I use is Opera. I was testing using hotmail and used Opera
    > to view the emails
    >
    > Considering using GUID instead, I mean use userproviderkey:
    > link += "?user=" + Server.UrlEncode(user.ProviderUserKey.ToString());
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > > On Feb 8, 12:13 pm, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi

    > >> asp.net 3.5

    > >> When user signup to my website he gets an email containing a url he needs
    > >> click on so he can verify his identiy. Now I got some problem with this
    > >> url,
    > >> I'm changing it a bit which resulted in url not being clickable
    > >> (I changed it because before I sent the username as a parameter, that is
    > >> not
    > >> very good in terms of security)

    > >> This url is unclickable
    > >> Confirm.aspx?user=S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d

    > >> but Confirm.aspx?user=crapbook
    > >> is clickable

    > >> In addition I used Server.UrlEncode on the "S0B7mEuiaYBNZcMWpXGG7g%3d%3d"
    > >> value, maybe I should have used on the enture url?

    > >> what you suggest?

    > > It's a problem with your email client, I believe. If I paste this url
    > > in Gmail, I see no problem to send such message and click on the link
    > > once received.

    So, if you open the email in Hotmail, do you see the link?
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 8, 2010