Why is Visual Studio debugging so slow?

Guest

I wonder if anyone has any tips to improve Visual Studio's debugging
performance? I have a 20 page web app that takes 90 or more seconds to bring
up the logon page after I hit F5. Start without debug (Ctrl-F5) is much
quicker, but of course, I don't have the debugging then.

I am running this on a 2GHz Compaq laptop, with both the server and database
on the same machine. After the first page loads, subsequent pages are
slightly slow on the first load, then are quick thereafter (after being
compiled). The problem is just with the first page coming up.

The slow part is not the build, which is very quick. The delay comes with IE
sitting blank for 30-40 seconds, then it says web site found, and finally
renders the page 30-40 seconds later.

The app is the Front Page type. Would it be quicker as a file share type?
Would it be quicker if I hosted the site on a different server?

I tried to remove from the project all pages that I was not actively working
on but it did not help noticeably.

As an old VB3 programmer, I love .NET but I must say waiting 90 seconds to
fix typos is quite a drag.

Kumar Reddi

Well, debug mode is slow compared to release mode, but the slowness you are
exeperiencing, 90 seconds is too much. The one cause could be Enable
Unmanaged Debugging set to true. Check to see,if you have it set to true, in
your project properties

Kumar Reddi
http://kumarreddi.blogspot.com