why isnt this scroll panel scrolling?

Justin

heres my class file. All I am trying to do is get the scroll panel to
have a scroll bar and the ability to scroll.

Why does changing the size of the JScrollPane have no affect on it when
I run the program? What do I have to do to gain scrolling
capabilities?

Thanks

package orthopedicnotegenerator;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.font.*;
import java.text.Collator;
import javax.swing.event.*;
import java.util.Date;
import java.text.DateFormat;

class ExamKnee2 extends JDialog{

final int WIDTH = 830;

AccessConnection dataConnection = new AccessConnection();

JPanel pane;
JScrollPane scroller;

public ExamKnee2() {

setModal(true);
Container pane = this.getContentPane();
this.setAlwaysOnTop(true);
pane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());
//pane.setLayout(null);

setDefaultCloseOperation(DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
setBounds(300,0,WIDTH,400);

addWidgets();

setVisible(true);
validate();

}

public void addWidgets(){

pane = new JPanel();
pane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());

JButton button = new JButton("Button 1 (PAGE_START)");
pane.add(button, BorderLayout.PAGE_START);

button = new JButton("Button 2 (CENTER)");
button.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(200, 100));
pane.add(button, BorderLayout.CENTER);

button = new JButton("Button 3 (LINE_START)");
pane.add(button, BorderLayout.LINE_START);

button = new JButton("Long-Named Button 4 (PAGE_END)");
pane.add(button, BorderLayout.PAGE_END);

button = new JButton("5 (LINE_END)");
pane.add(button, BorderLayout.LINE_END);

scroller = new JScrollPane(pane);
scroller.setSize(200,200);
add(scroller, BorderLayout.CENTER);

}

public static void main(String args[]){
ExamKnee2 examKnee = new ExamKnee2("Right", "123-45-6789", "2
weeks");

hiwa

Justin said:
[...]

Your code won't compile, let alone run.
If you need further help then you need to create a Short, Self
Contained, Compilable and Executable, Example Program (SSCCE) that
demonstrates the incorrect behaviour, because I can't guess exactly
what you are doing based on the information provided.
I think a panel only with five buttons need not to be scrolled.
Why it should scroll? I don't understand.

Thomas Fritsch

Justin said:
heres my class file. All I am trying to do is get the scroll panel to
have a scroll bar and the ability to scroll.

Why does changing the size of the JScrollPane have no affect on it when
I run the program? What do I have to do to gain scrolling
capabilities?

Thanks

package orthopedicnotegenerator;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.font.*;
import java.text.Collator;
import javax.swing.event.*;
import java.util.Date;
import java.text.DateFormat;

class ExamKnee2 extends JDialog{

final int WIDTH = 830;

AccessConnection dataConnection = new AccessConnection();
Compile error: class AccessConnection not found
JPanel pane;
JScrollPane scroller;

public ExamKnee2() {

setModal(true);
Container pane = this.getContentPane();
this.setAlwaysOnTop(true);
Compile error: method setAlwaysOnTop(boolean) not found
[...]

Compile error: constructor ExamKnee(String,String,String) not found.

Thomas Fritsch

Justin said:
heres my class file. All I am trying to do is get the scroll panel to
have a scroll bar and the ability to scroll.
scroller = new JScrollPane(pane);
The reason why you don't get scroll bars is described in the API docs of
constructor JScrollPane(Component), which you should read now.
How to get scrollbars is described in the docs of another JScrollPane
constructor.