Why isn't this working correctly?

Richard Heathfield

Kevin said:
The corresponding section in C99 appears to be 7.26. Strange that you
couldn't find it, considering the section heading is the same ("Future
library directions"). Maybe there's something different in the final
document - I only have drafts.

No, it's just that I read that bit about six times without seeing what I was
looking for.

Some day, I hope to... well, never mind. :)

Ben Pfaff

Richard Heathfield said:
No, it's just that I read that bit about six times without seeing what I was
looking for.

Some day, I hope to... well, never mind. :)

Here, let me help.

Kevin Goodsell

Ben said:
RFC 1855 says 65.

I just checked RFC 1855, and it specifies "fewer than 65 characters",
but this is for mail, not news. I didn't actually find any specification
for line length in the sections on news or any other one-to-many
communication. Maybe it's there and I missed it.

-Kevin

Ben Pfaff

Kevin Goodsell said:
I just checked RFC 1855, and it specifies "fewer than 65 characters",
but this is for mail, not news. I didn't actually find any
specification for line length in the sections on news or any other
one-to-many communication. Maybe it's there and I missed it.

The first sentence in section 3.0 "One-to-Many Communication
(Mailing Lists, NetNews)" is "Any time you engage in One-to-Many
communications, all the rules for mail should also apply."

Christopher Benson-Manica

Keith Thompson said:
Well, no, you don't; the second line of that paragraph is 70 columns
(72 now that I've quoted it). Which, in my opinion, is just fine.

Um, yes, 70. I was testing your ability to count characters... ;)

Mark McIntyre

Why 65? I thought a standard terminal had 25 lines and 80 columns.

so that when you're replying to quoted text, the quotes don't
wrap unexpectedly.
quite short lines of text.

Ben Pfaff

Mark McIntyre said:
I'm going to give you all a special Medal of Sadness for
bothering to look all this up...

This is only the umpteenth time it has come on in comp.lang.c.
It's not like I had to think about it again.

Mark McIntyre

The first sentence in section 3.0 "One-to-Many Communication
(Mailing Lists, NetNews)" is "Any time you engage in One-to-Many
communications, all the rules for mail should also apply."

I'm going to give you all a special Medal of Sadness for
bothering to look all this up...

The bill is in the post.
The rest of the duck will follow by courier.

Mark McIntyre

This is only the umpteenth time it has come on in comp.lang.c.
It's not like I had to think about it again.

in which case you get a special award for Remembering Exceptionally
Useless Offtopic Facts.... : -)