why JSTL expression language doesn't work?

sm

Hi, I am using jwsdp-1.2, together with struts 1.1.
I want to use JSTL under that environment, but <c:...> tags work, the
EL doesn't, the following page:

------------------------------
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" prefix="c" %>
<c:eek:ut value="literal string"/>
<% pageContext.setAttribute("filename", "mytestfilename"); %>
filename is <c:eek:ut value="${filename}"/>

placed under ROOT (so to make it as simple as possible), runs, gives
output:

literal string
filename is ${filename}

seems like somehow EL is not enabled? but the strange thing is JTSL
example code works within their war.

any help appreciated!