why no python setup.py uninstall?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alia Khouri, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Alia Khouri

    Alia Khouri Guest

    If the cannonical way to install a python app is

    python setup.py install

    one would expect the following to uninstall it

    python setup.py uninstall

    However, distutils doesn't automatically take care of that for you.

    Is this by design? Or is this something that could/should be addressed
    in a future version of distutils?

    The reason this came up for me is that I have a scheduled script that
    downloads the cvs/svn versions of certain python apps (w/extensions),
    and then builds and installs them to site-packages automatically by
    'python setup.py install'. Just to be extra clean about it, I would
    prefer to uninstall first, and then install.

    AK

    PS: I also have to manually uninstall apps from Mac OS X panther:
    searching for .plists etc. I wonder if that was deliberate or
    otherwise too... hmm...

    Alia Khouri, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Alia Khouri

    Alia Khouri Guest

    I'm guessing that this is a non-issue for most people (-;

    Alia Khouri, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Alia Khouri

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Alia Khouri wrote:
    > I'm guessing that this is a non-issue for most people (-;

    Well, you've allowed all of about 1.5 days for replies
    to come, and on a weekend at that.

    Be patient.

    I would also guess it's a non-issue as well, however.
    A quick perusal of the archives (which I leave to you)
    would very likely show almost no discussion of this in
    the past few years (at least, that's what I recall).

    On your specific reason for asking: I would suggest
    just not worrying about "being extra clean about it".
    Python's generally pretty good about not messing up
    when you install a new version of something without
    uninstalling the previous version.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Peter Hansen wrote:
    > Alia Khouri wrote:
    >
    >> I'm guessing that this is a non-issue for most people (-;

    > Well, you've allowed all of about 1.5 days for replies
    > to come, and on a weekend at that.
    >
    > Be patient.
    >
    > I would also guess it's a non-issue as well, however.
    > A quick perusal of the archives (which I leave to you)
    > would very likely show almost no discussion of this in
    > the past few years (at least, that's what I recall).
    >
    > On your specific reason for asking: I would suggest
    > just not worrying about "being extra clean about it".
    > Python's generally pretty good about not messing up
    > when you install a new version of something without
    > uninstalling the previous version.
    >
    > -Peter

    "Cleanliness is next to godliness". Why not facilitate a cleanup?

    This is not a big issue but it does deserve a response.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Alia Khouri

    Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > On your specific reason for asking: I would suggest
    > just not worrying about "being extra clean about it".
    > Python's generally pretty good about not messing up
    > when you install a new version of something without
    > uninstalling the previous version.

    Granted. However, the reason I did bring this up to begin with was the
    odd 'exceptional' case when doing the python setup.py install
    incantation over an older installation did cause problems.

    I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
    and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
    automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
    still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
    Pythonia.

    AK

    , Dec 6, 2004
  6. Alia Khouri

    Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > On your specific reason for asking: I would suggest
    > just not worrying about "being extra clean about it".
    > Python's generally pretty good about not messing up
    > when you install a new version of something without
    > uninstalling the previous version.

    Granted. However, the reason I did bring this up to begin with was the
    odd 'exceptional' case when doing the python setup.py install
    incantation over an older installation did cause problems.

    I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
    and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
    automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
    still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
    Pythonia.

    AK

    , Dec 7, 2004
  7. Alia Khouri

    Roger Binns Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
    > and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
    > automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
    > still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
    > Pythonia.

    Actually it does, indirectly

    Instead of doing 'python setup.py install', change the last parameter
    to bdist. You can add --format wininst, --format rpm and various
    other choices to make a package native to your platform. You can
    then use your platform tools to install and uninstall the files.
    Or you can use the zip/tar formats and keep track of the files by
    whatever means you want to.

    http://docs.python.org/dist/built-dist.html

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Alia Khouri

    richard Guest

    Roger Binns wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I think a little database (maybe in xml?) of installed files/modules
    >> and their locations would be useful, perhaps even for a future
    >> automatic download/installation/dependency-tracking thingmabob that
    >> still regretably still doesn't exist as parth of the stdlib in
    >> Pythonia.

    > Actually it does, indirectly

    Sorry, missed the OP. See PEP 261 for the plans in this area:

    http://python.org/peps/pep-0262.html

    combined with extensions to the setup.py metadata in:

    http://python.org/peps/pep-0314.html

    Most of the design / planning has been done. All we need is some developer
    time to make it happen. Go visit the Catalog SIG if you're interested.

    http://www.python.org/sigs/catalog-sig/

    Richard

    richard, Dec 13, 2004
  9. Alia Khouri

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Installing new versions of modules over old versions has often caused
    me problems. Particularly py3exe recently.

    Admittedly 'uninstalling' the old version was as simple as deleting the
    folder from 'site-packages'.....

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Dec 13, 2004