why no text+shading in Firefox?

Nik Coughlin

Eddy said:
Hi, Nik. "implemented by . . . Firefox from 3.1 onwards"? I thought I
have the latest version of Firefox and have just checked. I have FF
3.0.3. Have just been to Mozilla and it doesn't appear that there is a
version beyond 3.0.3 yet. Where did you hear of 3.1?

Hi Eddy. What Dylan said, not at public release yet. If you're feeling
lucky:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/
Er. I think you're joking. Microsoft surely doesn't have plans for
such minute things six years hence?

Yeah, it was a cheap shot, I know.

Nik Coughlin

Irina Rempt said:
Not only purists, but also people with an old computer, a bad/slow
connection or a small bandwidth allowance.

....people on (some) mobile devices, people who use screen readers, people
who aren't people at all (Google)

Dylan Parry

Nik Coughlin wrote:

[FF 3.1]
Yeah. Apparently is now benchmarking faster than Chrome for JavaScript

Now that is interesting! The only thing that's currently stopping me
from using Chrome is the lack of extensions. I love how fast it is, but
I can't deal with not having all those little features that I get in my
FF extensions.

If FF 3.1 is truly faster, and if they implement the same method that
Chrome uses with separate processes for each tab, then I'd have no
reason to switch to Chrome at all.

I also heard that FF 3.1 will handle embedding of fonts through CSS -
anyone heard anything else about this? It's one feature that I'd really
like to be able to use, and with Safari already supporting it, FF 3.1
adding it would make me even more likely to consider it as a bells n'
whistles feature.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Eddy

Dylan said:
3.1 is the latest *beta* version of Firefox, so the general public won't
be using it yet. I've yet to look at it myself, but from what I've read,
it features some nice improvements to speed and adds further support for
CSS.

Thanks, Dylan. What a world, eh? Waiting around hoping that then next
WILL faithfully reproduce one's website, and if not, then maybe the
version after that!

By the way had a look at your website, and in FF 3.0.3 the links to all
the tutorials on the following page are not available.
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index

Dylan Parry

Eddy said:
By the way had a look at your website, and in FF 3.0.3 the links to all
the tutorials on the following page are not available.
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index

They're not available in any other browser either ;) Planned tutorials
that I never got around to writing. It fact I've not updated that site
in such a long time that it's sort of fallen by the wayside really.
Still, all the stuff that is there is still useful, so no plans to take
it down any time soon.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Chaddy2222

They're not available in any other browser either ;) Planned tutorials
that I never got around to writing. It fact I've not updated that site
in such a long time that it's sort of fallen by the wayside really.
Still, all the stuff that is there is still useful, so no plans to take
it down any time soon.
Well what have you been doing?
I mean you have not been posting in here for quite some time, don't
tell me that you've become one of those types of people that just
reads posts in the NG and does not post? <g>
I have recently launched http://3rar-sa-assoc.org.au for a client.

Dylan Parry

Chaddy2222 said:
Well what have you been doing?

Mainly working on clients' sites and another site of my own. I get
easily bored, so I tend to end up with a lot of unfinished personal
projects!
I mean you have not been posting in here for quite some time, don't
tell me that you've become one of those types of people that just
reads posts in the NG and does not post? <g>

Nah, I generally either read the posts and post the odd reply, or I just
mark the lot as read if I'm too busy to read them.