why perl over more "powerful" stuff liek lisp haskell smalltalk ruby lua tcl?

gavino

I am amazed as I read online how many people say perl a an archaic
tool.
If perl is used right is it
1 not spagetti?
2 debugible?
3 fast?
4 easy to come back to after 6months and know whats going on?

John Bokma

gavino said:
I am amazed as I read online how many people say perl a an archaic
tool.
If perl is used right is it
1 not spagetti?
2 debugible?
3 fast?
4 easy to come back to after 6months and know whats going on?

omg!1111oneone, lolz ur so right I for one liek PERL!!!1111

gavino

Michele said:
I am amazed at how much crap abounds online. Nontheless this is not a
valid reason to *trust* it all...

I don't know what a language to "be spaghetti" could mean. But you can
write spaghetti code in *any* language and Perl certainly does not
encourage that.

if "debugible" means "debuggable", then there's no particular reason
why it should not be...

Depends on how fast is fast for you. As such your question is such a
stupid one that it wouldn't deserve an answer.

That's my own personal experience.

All in all your repeated questions like the present post sound much
like trolling to me. If they're not: trust me, there's nothing we can
say to give you an overall *feeling* about Perl along the lines of
your questions. It may well be a language fit for your needs, taste
and aptitude or completely unfit for any or even all of them. Just try
it and see for yourself. Period!

Michele

woa ok, yikes, Thanks again the the line adder script.

axel

gavino said:
I am amazed as I read online how many people say perl a an archaic
tool.
If perl is used right is it
1 not spagetti?
2 debugible?
3 fast?
4 easy to come back to after 6months and know whats going on?

Points 1, 2, and 4 depend mainly on the programmer not the language
(although some older languages made point 1 difficult to avoid).

As for point 3... how long is a piece of string? Or when does Moore's
Law finally come to an end? If Quantum Computing ever makes its way
past the pages of Scientific American, no doubt for some applications
it will make Perl look like a snail being compared to a photon. But
for other applications it will give no speed advantage in processing.
Interestingly, for tax purposes, it might quickly provide the best
ways of avoiding, a quite legal activity in contrast to evading,
tax very easily and quickly. But the same does not apply for running
through a payroll.

Although writing programmes for such a beast will take at least a
magnitude longer... it will make the lost art of assembly programming
a doddle.

In the end point 3 comes down to: where do you measure speed?

Experienced Perlers can know switch off and do something more useful
such as having a beer: Let us imagine someone attempting to write
in C a procedure to handle linked lists of strings. The end result
should run faster than something coded in Perl... but the programming
times between the two languages will be very different... plus the
debugging and testing... in C a careful watch needs to be kept on all
the pointers floating around waiting to be given the chance to
create a core dump or worse... the idea of using references in Perl
for such a thing does not arise (unless some complicated data
structures are involved).

But then, as they say, horses for courses.

Axel

Mirco Wahab

Thus spoke John Bokma (on 2006-07-30 21:07):
omg!1111oneone, lolz ur so right I for one liek PERL!!!1111

Lisp and Ruby have much cooler Cyborg names than Perl:
(http://cyborg.namedecoder.com)

RUBY: Robotic Unit Built for Yelling
LISP: Lifeform Intended for Sabotage and Peacekeeping

PERL: Positronic Electronic Repair Lifeform

Electronic Repair? Is this the Meaning of 'glue language'?

Regards

Mirco

(http://cyborg.namedecoder.com/index.php?acronym=PERL&design=governor3k3)