why program to interface is better design?

Thomas G. Marshall

Monique Y. Mudama coughed up:
Well, there's a very recent example for my company where a customer
chose another vendor for a product. Our people pointed out that the
competitor's product didn't work as advertised and didn't do what it
promised to do. Their response? "Yes, but theirs is available now."
Ours was still in development.

Certainly lack of a product results in lost business opportunities.

Which is why I keep harping on two issues regarding this particular
sub-sub-thread. 1. You need a time frame before you can judge something.
All first-time products have a lock on the industry at one point or another.
2. The need for getting to market quickly is not proven nor disproven by the
likelihood of a first to market product being "the one" that succeeds the
most.

Monique Y. Mudama

Monique Y. Mudama coughed up:

Which is why I keep harping on two issues regarding this particular
sub-sub-thread. 1. You need a time frame before you can judge
something. All first-time products have a lock on the industry at
one point or another. 2. The need for getting to market quickly is
not proven nor disproven by the likelihood of a first to market
product being "the one" that succeeds the most.

What you said.

Now I'm regretting my "truism" statement.

Mike Schilling

Roedy Green said:
I still sometimes wake up in as sweat thinking about a job I had circa
1993 in toxic company. Life is so short. You would not believe how
fast you get old.

I would suggest to anyone in such a situation, GET OUT. You are
needlessly torturing yourself.

There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
food and heat I lived on pancakes.. In retrospect, that was much
easier to bear.

I had problems with my neck for about three months once; it got so stiff
that it hurt to turn my head; even driving was painful. I tried sleeping
with no pillow, massage, acupuncture, muscle relaxants, etc. etc. All to no
avail.

The pain went away the day I quit my job.

Stefan Ram

Roedy Green said:
There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
food and heat I lived on pancakes..

I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
"pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
other food than pancakes".

Chris Uppal

Stefan said:
I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
"pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
other food than pancakes".

No, no! You have misunderstood Roedy; he meant quite literally that he lived
on pancakes.

As you may know Canada (and the Northern part of the US) produce large numbers
of pancakes every day, and there is inevitably some considerable
overproduction. North American pancakes (which are thicker than the thin
crepe-like pancakes we know in England[*]) make adequate bedding if you lack
anything better, and surplus pancakes are distributed to the needy by several
charities. Whether you are homeless or "merely" unable to afford to furnish a
living place, a good layer of pancakes can make a hard life just a little
better.

-- chris

([*] I can't forbear adding that English pancakes are nevertheless far
tastier.)

Roedy Green

I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
"pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
other food than pancakes".

That is correct. But I think it would take a non-English speaker to
notice the error.

Roedy Green

I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
"pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
other food than pancakes".

Explaining this to HAL, I would say. I had so little money I could
not afford to buy food or heat. So I bought neither. However, I had a
supply of various flours, so I survived by making pancakes from them.
For heat I bundled myself in a sleeping bag.

Such times are ever so much more fun to enjoy in retrospect.

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
Explaining this to HAL, I would say. I had so little money I could
not afford to buy food or heat. So I bought neither. However, I had a
supply of various flours, so I survived by making pancakes from them.
For heat I bundled myself in a sleeping bag.

Such times are ever so much more fun to enjoy in retrospect.

~I~ would not have noticed the error.

But Roedy's way is the most elegant.

Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What about collections?

for collections interface, we use

List<String> s=new ArrayList<String>();

instead of

ArrayList<String> a=new ArrayList<String>();

Why is 1st approach better?

Thanks for your response:lol: