why "setup-time and hold-time"?

Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
My name is Maaz,hello to every one!!!
I am new member to this forum.Could anyone please clarify some doubts for me, on "setup time & hold time".

I am aware of the fact that, setup time and hold time is necessary for the data to get sampled.ie., min time before the clk edge and after the clk edge.( a window , sort of thing) .These are the concepts, that are required.

But, my questoins are,
what is the necessity to have this window of setup time and hold time?

also , these days, we have softcore processors like Nios II & microblaze, where in, they don't demand the data to be stable during Hold time, why is that!!!??.

waiting for your replies
kind regards
Maaz