    http://www.dimonconstruction.com

    Thanks for your time

    Larry

    Larry Webb, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Larry Webb <> wrote:
    > The drop out/down menu on the site below works great on different
    > browsers and I would like to use it on another site I'm redesigning.
    > What are the downfalls of using a system like this?
    >
    > http://www.dimonconstruction.com

    That menu is a large amount of JavaScript which cannot be guaranteed to work
    on all systems due to different browser versions. Also, quite a large number
    do not have JavaScript or have it turned off because it can infringe on
    security.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Larry Webb pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > The drop out/down menu on the site below works great on different
    > browsers and I would like to use it on another site I'm redesigning.
    > What are the downfalls of using a system like this?
    >
    > http://www.dimonconstruction.com

    What menu is that? I didn't see any menu.

    <http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?url=http:/%
    2Fwww.dimonconstruction.com%2F>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Larry Webb

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in

    > Larry Webb <> wrote:
    >> The drop out/down menu on the site below works great on different
    >> browsers and I would like to use it on another site I'm redesigning.
    >> What are the downfalls of using a system like this?
    >>
    >> http://www.dimonconstruction.com

    > That menu is a large amount of JavaScript which cannot be guaranteed
    > to work on all systems due to different browser versions. Also, quite
    > a large number do not have JavaScript or have it turned off because it
    > can infringe on security.

    In fact, with Javascript disabled on Opera 7.20, the menu is completely
    missing; there's no navigation at all on the page.

    Note that Google won't be able to index any of the links off the page,
    because they're not real links.

    If you want to achieve the (admittedly attractive) effect that's present
    with Javascript enabled, you really need to mark up the menu so that in the
    absence of Javascript it appears as a vertical list of links, with each
    main menu item's sub-links underneath it (probably indented). Then use
    Javascript to hide the sub-link sections (by manipulating their style
    attributes) and pop them up (using absolute positioning, again by
    manipulating style attributes) in response to mouse movements.

    If you do that, you'll have the best of all worlds: a menu that looks and
    works the way you want it when Javascript is enabled, that looks good and
    still works if Javascript is disabled, and that enables search engines to
    index your whole site.

    Eric Bohlman, Oct 26, 2003
  5. "Larry Webb" <> wrote in message
    > What are the downfalls of using a system like this?
    >
    > http://www.dimonconstruction.com

    No link in that menu will ever get spidered by a search engine.
    The menu works fine for most people, but *please* offer and alternative
    navigation.

    You can even make it invisible if you have to.

    Woolly Mittens, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Larry Webb wrote:

    > The drop out/down menu on the site below works great on different
    > browsers and I would like to use it on another site I'm redesigning.
    > What are the downfalls of using a system like this?

    As others have said, what menu?

    Use the menu at http://devedge.netscape.com/ instead.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS