    SchemaCache.add("","x3d-3.0.xsd");

    pop up a messageBox report that there are some error.but the schema is
    well-formated.how to solution?

    tgtt, Jan 25, 2004

  2. tgtt wrote:

    > the schema is:
    > http://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.0.xsd
    >
    > when use SOM to load as:
    > SchemaCache = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLSchemaCache.4.0");
    > SchemaCache.add("","x3d-3.0.xsd");
    >
    > pop up a messageBox report that there are some error.but the schema is
    > well-formated.how to solution?

    The error doesn't say that the XML is not well-formed, it claims that
    the definition of the complex type named X3DGroupingNode is not
    deterministic.

    I have tried to follow all the references in the schema but got lost, so
    maybe you can try another schema processor to see what that says when
    the schema is processed. When I use
    http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/x...3d-3.0.xsd&warnings=on&keepGoing=on&style=xsl
    no errors are reported so maybe it is a bug with MSXML.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Martin Honnen <> writes:

    > tgtt wrote:
    > > the schema is:
    > > http://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.0.xsd

    > The error doesn't say that the XML is not well-formed, it claims that
    > the definition of the complex type named X3DGroupingNode is not
    > deterministic.
    >
    > I have tried to follow all the references in the schema but got lost,
    > so maybe you can try another schema processor to see what that says
    > when the schema is processed. When I use
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/x...3d-3.0.xsd&warnings=on&keepGoing=on&style=xsl
    > no errors are reported so maybe it is a bug with MSXML.

    I don't think it's a bug in MSXML.

    Xerces J also finds a number of non-deterministic content models; the
    majority of the error messages mention the element MetadataDouble
    appearing twice in competing positions in the content model, but this
    is an artifact: MetadataDouble happens to be the first element
    mentioned in a group (ChildContentModeCore) which is used more than
    once in competing positions -- so MetadataDouble is likely to be the
    first one checked and detected to be non-deterministic.

    My desk copy of XSV also complains about a non-deterministic content
    model involving MetadataDouble (although I don't understand why it's
    pointing where it's pointing in the source). I'm surprised that the
    Web version of XSV doesn't complain; perhaps there's a bug there.

    For those who care, the problem with type X3DGroupingNode is not hard
    to explain, though the layers of type derivation make it a bit wordy
    to explain. We have

    X3DGroupingNode extends X3DChildNode extends X3DNode

    X3DNode ends with an optional choice among various metadata elements,
    including metadataDouble.

    X3DChildNode doesn't change the content model (it just adds an
    attribute).

    X3DGroupingNode adds an optional occurrence of the group
    ChildContentModel, which in turn consists of a choice, one of whose
    members is the group ChildContentModeCore, which in turn contains a
    reference to element MetadataDouble.

    A parser can't tell whether an occurrence of MetadataDouble should
    match the one in the core definition of X3DNode, or the one in the
    X3DGroupingNode extension. Ergo, the content model is
    non-deterministic, ergo, the schema processor is right to raise an
    error.

    Of course, some have said (including me) that it would be better to do
    away with the non-determinism rule, but we haven't persuaded others of
    that yet.

    -C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
    World Wide Web Consortium / MIT CSAIL

    C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, Jan 28, 2004