Why the .pdf can not be shown?

Guest

Hello, friends,

I developed a web page with the following statement as part of it:

<iframe width="100%" height="100%"
src="c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

It worked fine in dev machine (in a local network).

However, after deploying it to the server and running it on server IE, to my
surprise, this <td></td> cell was blank!

I then run it through internet, I got a message saying "Action Cancelled:
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page
might be temporarily unavailable.", I could not even see the rest of the web
page.

Any ideas? Help please! Thanks a lot.

(I thought it could be IE security setting issue, but not sure and not to
know how/why)

Juan T. Llibre

The problem is :

src="c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

Try using a valid virtual path for the file.

i.e., for example :

src="/somevirtualdirectory/shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

Guest

But, why it worked in my dev machine?

Also, since we have a lot of files (GBs), it is not good to put all of them
under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. Rather, we want to put them in a separate
directory, or another drive, or even another file server in a local network.
Then, what is the best way to specify virtual path? Noramlly, how people
handle such kinds of questions? Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
But, why it worked in my dev machine?

Because local paths work in a local dev machine.

If the local path is in the same machine as the server, that works.
If the file is in a different machine than the server, it fails.

A client will look in its own file system
for the file if you specify a local path.

re:
Also, since we have a lot of files (GBs), it is not good to put all of them
under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. Rather, we want to put them in a separate
directory

You could put them all in a shared virtual directory, or even under one virtual
directory with subdirectories below it, to classify the files by subject/issue.

re:
or another drive, or even another file server in a local network

You can do that, as long as they're accessible via a standard URL.

re:
Then, what is the best way to specify virtual path?

A relative URL, i.e. :

"/somedirectory/somefile.ext"

Guest

Because your IE was able to find that PDF file using local path
"c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf", was (finding a file) is imposible when server is
on different machine.
Try creating a wirtual directory under catalog of your application in IIS
management console. This virtual directory can point to a catalog on
different drive.

Przemo

Patrice

Is this file placed on all machines and you wan't to access the local copy
from the web site ?

AFAIK it's likely no more allowed with the default settings for safety
reasons (a web site can't reference local content any more with SP2).

Bruce Barker

because localhost is a trusted domain, and allows access to c:\ thru a url

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)