Why the .pdf can not be shown?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Hello, friends,

    I developed a web page with the following statement as part of it:

    <iframe width="100%" height="100%"
    src="c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

    It worked fine in dev machine (in a local network).

    However, after deploying it to the server and running it on server IE, to my
    surprise, this <td></td> cell was blank!

    I then run it through internet, I got a message saying "Action Cancelled:
    Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page
    might be temporarily unavailable.", I could not even see the rest of the web
    page.

    Any ideas? Help please! Thanks a lot.

    (I thought it could be IE security setting issue, but not sure and not to
    know how/why)

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Feb 22, 2006

  2. The problem is :

    src="c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

    Try using a valid virtual path for the file.

    i.e., for example :

    src="/somevirtualdirectory/shs_test.pdf"></iframe>

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 22, 2006

  3. But, why it worked in my dev machine?

    Also, since we have a lot of files (GBs), it is not good to put all of them
    under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. Rather, we want to put them in a separate
    directory, or another drive, or even another file server in a local network.
    Then, what is the best way to specify virtual path? Noramlly, how people
    handle such kinds of questions? Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Feb 22, 2006
  4. re:
    > But, why it worked in my dev machine?

    Because local paths work in a local dev machine.

    If the local path is in the same machine as the server, that works.
    If the file is in a different machine than the server, it fails.

    A client will look in its own file system
    for the file if you specify a local path.

    re:
    > Also, since we have a lot of files (GBs), it is not good to put all of them
    > under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. Rather, we want to put them in a separate
    > directory

    You could put them all in a shared virtual directory, or even under one virtual
    directory with subdirectories below it, to classify the files by subject/issue.

    re:
    > or another drive, or even another file server in a local network

    You can do that, as long as they're accessible via a standard URL.

    re:
    > Then, what is the best way to specify virtual path?

    A relative URL, i.e. :

    "/somedirectory/somefile.ext"

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Because your IE was able to find that PDF file using local path
    "c:\DeptFiles\shs_test.pdf", was (finding a file) is imposible when server is
    on different machine.
    Try creating a wirtual directory under catalog of your application in IIS
    management console. This virtual directory can point to a catalog on
    different drive.

    Przemo

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJ6ZW1v?=, Feb 22, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Patrice Guest

    Is this file placed on all machines and you wan't to access the local copy
    from the web site ?

    AFAIK it's likely no more allowed with the default settings for safety
    reasons (a web site can't reference local content any more with SP2).

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Feb 22, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    Bruce Barker Guest

    because localhost is a trusted domain, and allows access to c:\ thru a url

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Feb 22, 2006