Why the popup cannot return value to parent?

ABC

I has a parent and a popup lookup ASP.NET Form. Both has javascript.
I test the popup window's window.Form1.SelectedProductCode.value has a
value. But don't know why the return variable "retvar" has not any value
pass from popup?

-- Parent Windows Script
function DoSelectProductCode()
{ var selectedstr = "";
var retvar;
retvar = window.showModalDialog('ProductSearch.aspx', '',
'dialogWidth:800px:dialogHeight:400px');

window.Form1.txtSearchProductCode.value = retvar;
}

-- Popup windows script
function SelectButtonClicked()
{
window.returnvalue = window.Form1.SelectedProductCode.value;
window.close();