Why this script doesn't work?

Li Chen

Hi all,

I copy a script from WIN32OLE documentation and run it. I find that Ruby
complains it at line cells = sheets.cells("A1:A5").

Do I miss something?

Thanks,

Li

##
require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.new('Excel.Application')
excel.Visible="True"

book = excel.workbooks.add
sheets = book.worksheets(1)

cells = sheets.cells("A1:A5")

cells.each do |row|
row.value = 10
end

##output
ruby test3.rb
test3.rb:13:in `method_missing': cells (WIN32OLERuntimeError)
OLE error code:80020005 in <Unknown>
<No Description>
HRESULT error code:0x80020009
Exception occurred. from test3.rb:13

Li Chen

Paul said:
Where is the Win32OLE documentation located, please? That way, others
can
confirm your effort and duplicate your experiment (if they are running
Windows).

It is here

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

WIN32OLE#each{|i|...} or each(WIN32OLE)in Methods section

Iterates over each item of OLE collection which has IEnumVARIANT
interface.

excel = WIN32OLE.new('Excel.Application')
book = excel.workbooks.add
sheets = book.worksheets(1)
cells = sheets.cells("A1:A5")
cells.each do |cell|