Why top posting is considered wrong?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 192.168.0.1, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. 192.168.0.1

    192.168.0.1 Guest

    It doesn't make a sense to me!

    When you see the subject and you've read the first post, than if, you
    want to answer, my logic tells me, that instead a force users to scroll
    down and find (sometimes very far from the top!) these 3 words I was
    looking for, better put it on the top!

    Ezsier for reader, easier for poster!

    When I see a someone posting an answer on the top, what a relief.

    Don't have to scroll down!

    Easier and faster, especially, when the previous message is long and
    whole, which is wrong as well IMHO.

    When I see someone top posting, I do appreciate because I know, that
    under his (her) post is nothing I didn't read before. When someone is
    answering on certain elements of the post, that's entire different story.

    I think I will top post regardless opinions of others because... I like
    that way!

    Unless I will hear a STRONG reason for posting on the bottom of the post!

    Cheers...

    192.168.0.1, Mar 26, 2006

  2. 192.168.0.1

    192.168.0.1 Guest

    Yep... it's easier like that

    ;)

    192.168.0.1, Mar 26, 2006

  3. 192.168.0.1

    192.168.0.1 Guest

    Why scroll down there?

    :)

    192.168.0.1, Mar 26, 2006
  4. 192.168.0.1 wrote:

    > When you see the subject and you've read the first post

    Have you? That assumes that the first post arrived first (which isn't always
    the case) AND is still on the news server AND that "having read the first
    first" gives you enough context - if you have been reading a lot of other
    messages in the same thread it is quite likely you need more specific
    context.

    > instead a force users to scroll down and find (sometimes very far from the
    > top!) these 3 words I was looking for, better put it on the top!

    If users have to scroll that far, then the poster is overquoting. Quoted
    material should be trimmed so there is enough for context, but no more.

    > I think I will top post regardless opinions of others because... I like
    > that way!

    I think that will get you added to kill files.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 26, 2006
  5. 192.168.0.1

    Noozer Guest

    "192.168.0.1" <> wrote in message
    > It doesn't make a sense to me!
    >
    > When you see the subject and you've read the first post, than if, you want
    > to answer, my logic tells me, that instead a force users to scroll down
    > and find (sometimes very far from the top!) these 3 words I was looking
    > for, better put it on the top!

    Because you should TRIM the posts you reply to and, logically, reply IN
    LINE. Not at the top or bottom.

    > When I see a someone posting an answer on the top, what a relief.
    > Don't have to scroll down!

    No... then a) you are being lazy, and/or b) the poster was lazy and didn't
    trim the post properly.

    > Easier and faster, especially, when the previous message is long and
    > whole, which is wrong as well IMHO.

    > I think I will top post regardless opinions of others because... I like
    > that way!

    Do what you like... Those that don't like it will just *plonk* you.

    Noozer, Mar 26, 2006
  6. 192.168.0.1

    Noozer Guest

    What are you talking about?

    Noozer, Mar 26, 2006
  7. 192.168.0.1 wrote:

    > It doesn't make a sense to me!

    Usenet is not one-on-one email.

    open the front cover and begin reading there?
    the back cover and end up at the front or do you
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at

    If you top-post a reply to a message from several days ago, people will
    still need to scroll down to see what you are replying to, then scroll
    back up to read your response, because they will likely have forgotten
    the original points, or need to refresh their memory. Especially for
    someone who reads hundreds of posts every day.

    They would also need to figure out or guess at which points you are
    replying to, if the post is far along in a thread. Here's where good
    inline posting is valuable.

    Due to lack of trimming, TOFU was born.
    Text Oben Fullquote Unten (German)
    Text Over, Fullquote Under

    And, if you don't quote anything, due to the nature of Usenet
    propagation, the message you are replying to may not have made it to my
    news-server yet, so if there is no quote, I won't know why you are
    writing what you did.

    And of course, *inline posting* is most desirable. With judicious
    trimming.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 26, 2006
  8. In article <44268f9d$0$21285$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, says...
    > It doesn't make a sense to me!

    That's because you're an idiot. An idiot troll, at that.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Mar 26, 2006
  9. 192.168.0.1

    Guest

    "When thou enter a city, abide by its customs." -The Talmud

    Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

    How do I quote correctly in usenet?

    Common Mistakes in Usenet Postings and How to Avoid Them
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/mail-news-errors.html#quoting

    Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

    Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    +What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
    http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/quote.html

    , Mar 26, 2006
  10. 192.168.0.1 wrote:
    > It doesn't make a sense to me!

    Cannot help your shortcomings! An ya, most people read from top to
    bottom on planet Earth.

    Q1:...
    A1:...

    Q2:...
    A2:...

    Q3:...
    A3:...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 26, 2006
  11. In article <>, says...

    > "When thou enter a city, abide by its customs." -The Talmud

    > Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

    Excellent! You're giving someone advice on how to reply to posts in
    usenet, and then you fsck it up, too. Oh the irony!

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Mar 26, 2006
  12. 192.168.0.1

    Greg N. Guest

    If a post and a quote are so short that they can both be grasped without
    even rolling your eyeballs (normal reading comprehension assumed), top
    posting is fine with me.

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > That's because you're an idiot.

    --
    Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Mar 26, 2006
  13. 192.168.0.1

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:34:19 +0200, "Greg N." <>
    wrote:

    : If a post and a quote are so short that they can both be grasped without
    : even rolling your eyeballs (normal reading comprehension assumed), top
    : posting is fine with me.

    It's like sitting at the luncheon table before the boss and the
    ladies. Try and stick to the rules?

    Of course, trim the post beforehand so that "they can both be grasped
    without even rolling your eyeball" !!

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Mar 26, 2006
  14. 192.168.0.1

    Greg N. Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:

    > It's like sitting at the luncheon table before the boss and the
    > ladies. Try and stick to the rules?

    If a rule is only formally violated, while the violation does not cause
    any justifiable irritation, annoyance, and disturbance, I'd expect the
    boss and the ladies to ignore it.

    If they have any class, that is.

    Greg N., Mar 26, 2006
  15. 192.168.0.1

    Els Guest

    Like so? All of this message is in one view on my monitor.
    You reckon it makes sense?

    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Mar 26, 2006
  16. 192.168.0.1

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Sid Ismail quothed:

    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:34:19 +0200, "Greg N." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : If a post and a quote are so short that they can both be grasped without
    > : even rolling your eyeballs (normal reading comprehension assumed), top
    > : posting is fine with me.
    >

    > It's like sitting at the luncheon table before the boss and the
    > ladies. Try and stick to the rules?

    Will never happen 100%. Some guys always try to stick it to the boss,
    others to the ladies.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 26, 2006
  17. 192.168.0.1

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > "When thou enter a city, abide by its customs." -The Talmud

    What's smuggling got to do with it?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 26, 2006
  18. 192.168.0.1

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:

    > 192.168.0.1 wrote:
    > > It doesn't make a sense to me!

    > Cannot help your shortcomings! An ya, most people read from top to
    > bottom on planet Earth.

    -except in body language.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 26, 2006
  19. 192.168.0.1

    Greg N. Guest

    Of course there is a fine line between harmless and
    annoying top-posting. Good judgement is key.

    Greg N., Mar 26, 2006
  20. 192.168.0.1

    Els Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > Of course there is a fine line between harmless and
    > annoying top-posting. Good judgement is key.
    >
    > Els wrote:
    >> All of this message is in one view on my monitor.
    >> You reckon it makes sense?

    You're avoiding the question - did that post make sense when read on
    its own? Does this one? Are you gonna teach each top-poster this
    judgement?

    I reckon it's easier to just bottom-post and have everybody do so.

    And this message is only 3 levels deep. Now have one with 5 levels.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Mar 26, 2006