    Why does one need two JRE's? Isn't one enough? Why cannot I just
    use the SDK and the public JRE to run my applications?

    , Aug 18, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > When installing the J2SE Dev. Kit 5.0 Update3, it is installed
    > toghether with the so-called "private" JRE 5.0. Apart from that,
    > the installation program offers the possibility of installing a
    > standalone "public" JRE, which registers a Java Plug-in and Java
    > Web Start with the browsers.
    > Why does one need two JRE's? Isn't one enough? Why cannot I just
    > use the SDK and the public JRE to run my applications?

    One difference I know of:

    In the private JRE ("C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.5.0\jre\" on my system)
    the class files were compiled *with* debugging info (SourceFile,
    LineNumberTable, ...). This JRE is meant to be used for developing,
    because you can step through the JRE code with debuggers, and get
    exception stack traces with line numbers.

    In the public JRE ("C:\Programme\Java\jre1.5.0\" on my system)
    the class files were compiled *without* debugging info. This JRE is
    meant to be installed on customers' systems.

    --
    "Thomas:Fritsch$ops:de".replace(':','.').replace('$','@')

    Thomas Fritsch, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 18 Aug 2005 07:15:24 -0700, wrote or quoted
    :

    >Why does one need two JRE's? Isn't one enough? Why cannot I just
    >use the SDK and the public JRE to run my applications?

    This has been a puzzle since day 1. Sun refers to the JRE in the JDK
    as a private JRE for Javac, as if it might contain extra stuff only
    Javac or the Sun JDK classes need.

    Try doing a file compare on them to see if they are in any way
    different.

    Roedy Green, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Joan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > When installing the J2SE Dev. Kit 5.0 Update3, it is installed
    > toghether with the so-called "private" JRE 5.0. Apart from
    > that,
    > the installation program offers the possibility of installing a
    > standalone "public" JRE, which registers a Java Plug-in and
    > Java
    > Web Start with the browsers.
    > Why does one need two JRE's? Isn't one enough? Why cannot I
    > just
    > use the SDK and the public JRE to run my applications?

    I think it is just for convenience. The run time is not too big.

    Joan, Aug 19, 2005