Why VHDL tutorials kill the brain? Or - where to start?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Vagant, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. Vagant

    Vagant Guest

    Hello,

    I have started to learn VHDL a couple of weeks ago but still feel that
    it goes nowhere. Well, I have several books around and have read about
    150-200 pages from these, all show some examples. I have tried to
    program them
    on board from Xilinx. All work fine, thanks to God!
    But there is no complete exciting project. VHDL kills me, I thought.
    Mainly because it's boring and not practical. Had you felt like this
    too?
    I m really looking not for examples which drain my mind but for
    something real.

    For something like a design of digital filter which includes:

    audio_signal1->ADC->digital_filter->DAC->audio_signal2

    where digital_filter is controlled from PC host
    Where I could learn how such system can be designed? I think it would
    be an awesome project.
    Vagant, Oct 19, 2007

  2. Vagant

    Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:19:30 -0700, Vagant
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have started to learn VHDL a couple of weeks ago but still feel that
    >it goes nowhere. Well, I have several books around and have read about
    >150-200 pages from these, all show some examples. I have tried to
    >program them
    >on board from Xilinx. All work fine, thanks to God!
    >But there is no complete exciting project. VHDL kills me, I thought.
    >Mainly because it's boring and not practical. Had you felt like this
    >too?
    >I m really looking not for examples which drain my mind but for
    >something real.
    >
    >For something like a design of digital filter which includes:
    >
    >audio_signal1->ADC->digital_filter->DAC->audio_signal2
    >
    >where digital_filter is controlled from PC host
    >Where I could learn how such system can be designed? I think it would
    >be an awesome project.

    As ever, it's difficult to learn from the dry examples in a book. It's
    better to find a real problem: even a simple one is enough, at the
    beginning and you will learn more from that than from someone else's
    "complete exciting project".

    Remember, also, that there are very few good technical books (in any
    subject), but many which are written very badly (ih t'mi i t'mi i
    t'mi). So don't be discouraged by those which you've seen so far.

    Mike
    , Oct 19, 2007

  3. Mike Treseler, Oct 19, 2007
  4. Vagant

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Oct 19, 4:19 am, Vagant <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have started to learn VHDL a couple of weeks ago but still feel that
    > it goes nowhere. Well, I have several books around and have read about
    > 150-200 pages from these, all show some examples. I have tried to
    > program them
    > on board from Xilinx. All work fine, thanks to God!
    > But there is no complete exciting project. VHDL kills me, I thought.
    > Mainly because it's boring and not practical. Had you felt like this
    > too?
    > I m really looking not for examples which drain my mind but for
    > something real.
    >
    > For something like a design of digital filter which includes:
    >
    > audio_signal1->ADC->digital_filter->DAC->audio_signal2
    >
    > where digital_filter is controlled from PC host
    > Where I could learn how such system can be designed? I think it would
    > be an awesome project.

    You must learn to crawl before you can walk, and you must be able to
    walk before you run a marathon.

    -a
    Andy Peters, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Vagant

    Guest

    I agree that most of us need to crawl first. However, the simple
    digital filter which you suggest sounds like a good target if you
    don't find enough stimulus in very simple logic. I'd recommend
    "Digital Signal Processing" by Steven W Smith as a good source for
    algorithms. It avoids heavy theory (although, given your background
    in NMR at Manchester, I doubt that the theory would give you any
    problems).

    Mike

    >On Oct 19, 4:19 am, Vagant <> wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have started to learn VHDL a couple of weeks ago but still feel that
    >> it goes nowhere. Well, I have several books around and have read about
    >> 150-200 pages from these, all show some examples. I have tried to
    >> program them
    >> on board from Xilinx. All work fine, thanks to God!
    >> But there is no complete exciting project. VHDL kills me, I thought.
    >> Mainly because it's boring and not practical. Had you felt like this
    >> too?
    >> I m really looking not for examples which drain my mind but for
    >> something real.
    >>
    >> For something like a design of digital filter which includes:
    >>
    >> audio_signal1->ADC->digital_filter->DAC->audio_signal2
    >>
    >> where digital_filter is controlled from PC host
    >> Where I could learn how such system can be designed? I think it would
    >> be an awesome project.

    >You must learn to crawl before you can walk, and you must be able to
    >walk before you run a marathon.
    >
    >-a
    , Oct 23, 2007