Why was the .h dropped in std headers?

Derek

What was the rationale for dropping the .h suffix for standard
headers (e.g., <iostream> vs <iostream.h>)? Just curious.

(I already asked in comp.std.c++, but the moderators there work
like molasses -- my post from yesterday still hasn't appeared.)

Mike Wahler

Derek said:
What was the rationale for dropping the .h suffix for standard
headers (e.g., <iostream> vs <iostream.h>)? Just curious.

You'd have to ask the standards committee members to be sure,
but I suspect at least part of the reason is to reduce the
possiblity of conflicts with the inherited C headers (e.g
each of which declares completely said:
(I already asked in comp.std.c++, but the moderators there work
like molasses -- my post from yesterday still hasn't appeared.)

Moderated groups are 'slow' by nature. I don't think it's
legitmate to call the moderators 'slow as molasses', as their
job is an unpaid volunteer activity. I'm sure they have their
own lives to deal with too.

-Mike

Jeff Flinn

Derek said:
What was the rationale for dropping the .h suffix for standard
headers (e.g., <iostream> vs <iostream.h>)? Just curious.

(I already asked in comp.std.c++, but the moderators there work
like molasses -- my post from yesterday still hasn't appeared.)

Your post and responses appeared there yesterday! Prehaps it's your news
server that's slow as molasses.

Jeff

Victor Bazarov

Derek said:
What was the rationale for dropping the .h suffix for standard
headers (e.g., <iostream> vs <iostream.h>)? Just curious.

(I already asked in comp.std.c++, but the moderators there work
like molasses -- my post from yesterday still hasn't appeared.)

I read it and the replies to it yesterday. Or was it somebody else's
question? I saw 4 replies, IIRC, one from Andrew Koenig.

Jonathan Mcdougall

Derek said:
What was the rationale for dropping the .h suffix for standard
headers (e.g., <iostream> vs <iostream.h>)? Just curious.

Because there was a de facto standard that most
programmers were using and the names of headers
was part of it. C++98 took these well-known
names, modified them a bit and tried to make their
content (if only the names used, such as cout and
cin) as similar as possible to what people were
used to. Finally, to avoid having two
<iostream.h> on the same machine working
differently, the .h was dropped.

Stroustrup also says the .h is redundant because
#include <> specifies a header, but that's a bit
far fetched.

Jonathan

Derek

Victor said:
I read it and the replies to it yesterday. Or was it somebody else's
question? I saw 4 replies, IIRC, one from Andrew Koenig.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like my news reader/service is
not picking up recent posts from comp.std.c++. I guess those
volunteer moderators are faster than I gave them credit for. :)

Derek

Mike said:
Moderated groups are 'slow' by nature. I don't think it's
legitmate to call the moderators 'slow as molasses', as their
job is an unpaid volunteer activity. I'm sure they have their
own lives to deal with too.

First, it's my news service that's slow, not the moderators --
apparently I received replies yesterday, though I still can't see
them through my usual means. Second, I wasn't knocking the
moderators and I know they have lives. :) I only made that
comment as a preemptive strike against the "ask in comp.std.c++"
replies that I was expecting. :)

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Derek said:
First, it's my news service that's slow, not the moderators --
apparently I received replies yesterday, though I still can't see
them through my usual means. Second, I wasn't knocking the
moderators and I know they have lives. :) I only made that
comment as a preemptive strike against the "ask in comp.std.c++"
replies that I was expecting. :)

May I ask what is the urgence in that type of question?