    hopefully this will start a bit of a discussion!

    Thanks

    Colin
    cm@gowcity, Feb 13, 2004

  2. I don't think I'd generally use them in ASP.Net development.
    IMHO, where they see the best use is for 3rd parties talking to your system,
    or desktop apps that need to get data from a hosted environment.

    Michael

    "cm@gowcity" <> wrote in message
    > Im just learning c# and begining to use web services.
    > Ive built a few and managed to consume theses into asp pages but i am
    > struggling to see the advantage of these!
    > Why not just build the functionality into the page?
    >
    > hopefully this will start a bit of a discussion!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Colin

    ---
    Michael Pearson, Feb 13, 2004

  3. cm@gowcity

    Simon Smith Guest

    On 13 Feb 2004 09:58:27 -0800 in article
    <> in
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices ,
    (cm@gowcity) wrote:

    >Im just learning c# and begining to use web services.
    >Ive built a few and managed to consume theses into asp pages but i am
    >struggling to see the advantage of these!
    >Why not just build the functionality into the page?

    If you can indeed build the functionality into the page, then you
    probably should do. However, there are at least two reasons I can
    think of for using a Web Service:

    You may want a bit of code to run in a totally different context and
    possibly asynchronously. A Web Service will do that. Given IIS6 it can
    also run in a separate process, which gives some protection from
    faults in that piece of code.

    I use Web Services to transfer data from one machine to another. I do
    a lot of integration work (Web Site to a backing Erp system). The Web
    Site calls a Web Service within the Erp system's domain and processes
    the data there. The Erp System calls a Web Service on the Web Site to
    pass data back.

    --
    Simon
    simon dot s at ghytred dot com
    Simon Smith, Feb 14, 2004
  4. cm@gowcity

    Me Guest

    have you ever done a screen scrape???
    A web service is basically a screen scrape but done in such a way that when
    you Consume it you can do what ever you want with the data and use any part
    or all parts of the data that's coming in in XML

    Me, Feb 14, 2004
  5. cm@gowcity

    Joe H Guest

    do you recall RDS (Remote Data Service)? which allowed you to call objects
    remotely via HTTP or DCOM? web services provide a replacement for this in a
    framework that is a lot more supportable, secure, and easy to implement.

    Joe H, Feb 15, 2004
  6. cm@gowcity

    Steve Drake Guest

    I tend to use the following layers :

    Data - Bus - Bus Façade, I then consume the Bus Facade from ASP.NET (or fat
    client) as this is quicker, then to integrate with 3rd party's I consume the
    Bus Façade from a webservice, the bus facade is hosted in a .NET remoted
    APP.

    Web Services is Service orientated architecture, good for other apps talking
    to your backend.
    Remoting is Object orientated architecture, good for your APPS front end
    talking to your apps backend etc.

    Just cos you ASP.NET can use the WebService on the same server it does not
    mean its the correct thing todo, but I would say building the functionality
    into the page is bad, have a look at remoting.

    Steve

    Steve Drake, Feb 17, 2004