Why won't applet work on similar machines/OS?

gerrymcc

Hello,
I've developed a music applet which I am trying to sell on a small
scale. I've had one prospective purchaser so far, but he tells me
that the free applets which I've provided at my site
(http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc) don't work on his machine, which
is a 266MHz PII, 96MB RAM, Windows 98. I'm surprised by this, since I
have an older Pentium running Windows 95, with 64MB RAM. I used Java
1.4 while writing the applets. What reasons could there be for the
applets' failure to work on his machine?
Thanks very much for any help,
Gerard

Andrew Thompson

Hello,
I've developed a music applet which I am trying to sell on a small
scale. I've had one prospective purchaser so far, but he tells me
that the free applets which I've provided at my site
(http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc) don't work on his machine,

If client's PC is running Windows with that
'OS Component' IE it might be using the
broken 1.1 MS VM.

Tell them to point their browser
here to check it..
http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp

They need to select the '1.4' link
at the top..

HTH

nos

Hello,
I've developed a music applet which I am trying to sell on a small
scale. I've had one prospective purchaser so far, but he tells me
that the free applets which I've provided at my site
(http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc) don't work on his machine, which
is a 266MHz PII, 96MB RAM, Windows 98. I'm surprised by this, since I
have an older Pentium running Windows 95, with 64MB RAM. I used Java
1.4 while writing the applets. What reasons could there be for the
applets' failure to work on his machine?
Thanks very much for any help,
Gerard

I went to this page and clicked on the first link.
On the first applet, keyboard, the name of the key
shows up, but there is no sound when I click. I
verified that my sound is not muted.
I have WIN XP Pro, celeron 2 GHz
internet explorer version 6

Matt Parker

nos said:
I went to this page and clicked on the first link.
On the first applet, keyboard, the name of the key
shows up, but there is no sound when I click. I
verified that my sound is not muted.
I have WIN XP Pro, celeron 2 GHz
internet explorer version 6

No sound for me in Linux with Konqueror or Mozilla. I'm running Sun's JVM
1.4.2.

On another note (no pun intended), you may want to look into double
buffering your display on the applet, there's a lot of flicker there.

Matt