why won't it work?

richard

I get the same results in IE7 and FF3.5.
The two inner divisions will not show entirely in the container for nuthin.
This did not used to be such a pain. I'm wondering if the browser writers
have changed the behavior of css.

<head>
<title></title>
</head>

123

abc

dorayme

richard said:
I get the same results in IE7 and FF3.5.
The two inner divisions will not show entirely in the container for nuthin.
This did not used to be such a pain. I'm wondering if the browser writers
have changed the behavior of css.
Not that you bother to answer any advice I give you, but try overflow:
hidden; on your container. Are you perhaps interested to know why you
are having this trouble rather than this or that fix?

I am in a bad mood it seems!

richard

Not that you bother to answer any advice I give you, but try overflow:
hidden; on your container. Are you perhaps interested to know why you
are having this trouble rather than this or that fix?

I am in a bad mood it seems!

Me two. I just get so frustrated sometimes I can't seem to recall simple
fixes.
Thanks for the kick.

rf

No, they have not.

You forgot to ask dorayme why you are having this trouble so she could point
you to her rather excellent series of articles on the matter.

Easy for this to happen with RtS.

You two, or you three?
I just get so frustrated sometimes I can't seem to recall simple
fixes.

You don't *need* "simple fixes" if you truly understood what float really
does.

dorayme

"rf said:
Easy for this to happen with RtS.

You two, or you three?

I am in a better mood now that I have had a drink! Richard Newsguy has
driven me to it. Let's all of us start a *barn* dance? We will float
around the ballroom and not worry about overflows, the more the
merrier... <g>

rf

dorayme said:
I am in a better mood now that I have had a drink! Richard Newsguy has
driven me to it. Let's all of us start a *barn* dance? We will float
around the ballroom and not worry about overflows, the more the
merrier... <g>

Nah. I don't dance, well not when I am sober anyway. I'll just accompany you
over to the scrollbar for another G&T.

Adrienne Boswell

I hear ya, dorayme...

Is it ok to dance with one's own mum? :)

I hope so, my son and I were in the kitchen dancing to Walking After
Midnight by Patsy Kline last night. It's not easy dancing with a six
year old.

richard

I am in a better mood now that I have had a drink! Richard Newsguy has
driven me to it. Let's all of us start a *barn* dance? We will float
around the ballroom and not worry about overflows, the more the
merrier... <g>

As long as you are nekkid and do a pole dance for us.

richard

No, they have not.

You forgot to ask dorayme why you are having this trouble so she could point
you to her rather excellent series of articles on the matter.

Easy for this to happen with RtS.

You two, or you three?

You don't *need* "simple fixes" if you truly understood what float really
does.

Always so easy to attach those stereotyped monikers ain't it?
Like you're do damned perfect 100% of the time you don't require any
assistance for nuthin.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
It's not easy dancing with a six
year old.

Just don't let them make like they are two years old and leap up on you
in their dancing excitement, they are bad enough when they are two on
the parental spine! <g>

dorayme

richard said:
Always so easy to attach those stereotyped monikers ain't it?
Like you're do damned perfect 100% of the time you don't require any
assistance for nuthin.

rf was saying that it is better to get a more comprehensive view of the
float rules than just be advised about one fix in one particular
situation. I don't think you realise how much he loves you. He is just
shy and this is his way.

By the way, that overflow rule I mentioned will fail in IE6 in
situations where the container needs to grow height. Check your's out.
If in IE6 the container does grow height and enclose its children in the
way you want, it is not the overflow rule causing it. If it is not
enclosing its floated children, there are fixes for this. Sometimes one
of the simplest is to give the container an explicit width. Other fixes
include putting a non-floated child cleared to below the floats...

richard

rf was saying that it is better to get a more comprehensive view of the
float rules than just be advised about one fix in one particular
situation. I don't think you realise how much he loves you. He is just
shy and this is his way.

By the way, that overflow rule I mentioned will fail in IE6 in
situations where the container needs to grow height. Check your's out.
If in IE6 the container does grow height and enclose its children in the
way you want, it is not the overflow rule causing it. If it is not
enclosing its floated children, there are fixes for this. Sometimes one
of the simplest is to give the container an explicit width. Other fixes
include putting a non-floated child cleared to below the floats...

Thanks.
In my actual output, I have an <hr> to clear the floats with.
I figure every browser should know how to handle one of them.
I also have the floated divisions using display:block as well as a fixed
width.

dorayme

richard said:
Thanks.
In my actual output, I have an <hr> to clear the floats with.
I figure every browser should know how to handle one of them.
I also have the floated divisions using display:block as well as a fixed
width.

Perhaps you might have shown the relevant bits in your posted code. If
you had a cleared non-float child in the first place, you might not have
needed the overflow rule on the container? I am not meaning to suggest -
God forbid! - that you should actually post any URL. Let's not go
overboard now! <g>

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
Just don't let them make like they are two years old and leap up on you
in their dancing excitement, they are bad enough when they are two on
the parental spine! <g>

Are you kidding!? I had to carry Spane to bed the other night when he fell
asleep in the chair, 49 pounds (22kg) dead weight. Talk about a parental
spine!